1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Re-Open Demotivational Petition

Discussion in 'General' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 28 Jul 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You know what House says:*it's not a democracy* :hehe:

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Far over the misty mountains cold

House Knew it

3. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Bit has some seriously good posters, who make some incredibly high quality threads.

It's a pity that new posters are coming in to spam tired memes or whine in the demote thread instead of contributing quality content to the forum.

I know some mods think there is a degree of overlap between these posters and threads, but I can't say I've noticed it. There seems to be two very distinct groups of posters: those who got here through a search for computer modification, CNC, and projects; and those who got here searching for LOL FUNNY PICTURES 4CHAN. :sigh:

4. Psycho

Psycho Average

I got here searching for "demotivational posters", should i be concerned? :/ (j/k)

5. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I think a few of us were either ignoring reports from the demote thread or filtering them straight to trash.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

Mehhh I Saw Nothing and you ?

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You're not helping the cause

8. Psycho

Psycho Average

Im afraid not here.

9. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Another thing is it didn't get closed because of one particular picture.

The ban rule itself was:

Basically it got closed because the fanny to funny ratio reached a critical level.

Actually it was the taste police that annoyed me.

Something about people not complaining about hilarious demotivationals based on:
    [​IMG]

then crying for mod and banhammer because they saw a picture of an old woman in a bikini.

I'm all for being hypocritical and irrational, but there are limits to how much remtardation I can observe without interjection.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2010
  10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I think it should be reopened (got close to 100 pics saved up already).

But I think the mods should just leave the thread alone for the most part.

It is a NSFW thread, if the picture bothers someone, they can scroll down. If a picture is reposted 100 times, just keep scrolling.Unless a picture is against forum rules, there should be no problems.

Some people are gonna post pics that others do not find funny. That happens. So what?

Instead of banning people who post stuff that other people don't like, the people who whine and complain should be getting the ban hammer.

So basically let people argue and post all kinds of retarded stuff as long as the pictures do not go against forum rules. If someone whines to a moderator, ban them. I dont care if people whine in the thread, I have a scroll wheel. As long as they do not bother the admins and mods, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.

USE YOUR SCROLL WHEEL.

:thumb:

11. Psycho

Psycho Average

True...True...Although many people will ignore that and still complain...

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I'd rather not see the thread return, to much butthurt from those who couldn't take it.

Mabey a thread where there is no chat, just images otherwise no post is allowed.

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I posted VERY little in that thread, but if knuck will step up to offer to moderate it, so will I. I'm disabled, I have the time and quite a bit of expertise (modded on three or four forums already) as well as simply being willing to do it.

If you choose not to reopen it, I will understand. I've seen stuff like that get out of hand too easily. But, you do have two people in the forum who have been here a while who are willing to step up and help you guys, and people even respect knuck!

I hate to say it, but that demot thread has kept a lot of people on the site. If only a few of them start posting elsewhere, that's still a few that we brought in that may have passed us by otherwise. Besides, you never know where the next ZapWizard or g-gnome will come from. But, as it stands, I know a few of the staff here decently well, and I know that it's an endless and thankless job, and if they choose to keep it closed to ease their load, I understand and respect that.

knuck likes this.
  14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Quite honestly it's not that the thread would need moderating and there's no-one willing, it's that the forums need it for a while.

The demots thread became a crutch for many, and too many arguments and general bitchyness began. The spirit went, so the funny, for me at least, went. Every incident of butthurt began to grate, and suddenly I found myself not wanting to browse because there would be more butthurt to be disappointed with one way or another.

In the future there might be scope for another, but not for a while yet. We've cooked up a few ideas for how it'll work too, which I won't spoil for you.

The demote thread gave us many hours of pleasurable browsing, but let's have a rest.

Zurechial likes this.
  15. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Only on a tech forum can mods and posters alike be so anal that a simple pleasure like the demote thread needs to be closed.

Pour one out from your energy drinks.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Whiners, they always ruin things for everyone else.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You (as in, the forum community as a whole) were warned several times about the parameters the demots thread could continue to exist in, such as no whining and no constant reposting of a few memes. You neglected to obey those rules and are now suffering the fallout. It really is as simple as that and the punishment isn't going to work if we just say "oh, go on then, have another go and try not to make this the same as last time", is it?

Yes, it's a shame the thread is gone. Yes, I personally wish it were back. Yes, it may return.

No, the mods are not to blame. No, I don't think we'll be appointing a specific mod to manage a single thread. No, we aren't going to put a time table on when it will come back.

If you want to look at who is to blame for the closure then shouldn't you really be looking at those who acted out, rather than the mods who only acted as they should be expected to? Like it or not, the community bought this on itself.

Thacrudd likes this.
  18. TheBlackSwordsMan

I'm allergic to penicillin, have you seen me take a dive into a pool of that ? Its the same for Demotivational

19. K

K 528491

I don't think I posted in that thread once but god DAMN, I read it every day and it's one of the things that drew me back to the forums after a long hiatus. It's just a bit of a laugh. Honestly, it says NSFW on the front and if I found something 'offensive' (not one single image ever by the way, not even reposts, who cares really?) then I would have just skipped over it!

I say reopen it. Definitely. Maybe not straight away, but soon :)

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Funny, I followed the demot thread whenever I could and never even noticed any bitchiness, but then I never read the text, just looked at the pictures.

The quality of the demots has decreased since it began though, which is understandable, there aren't infinite great demots in the world. Maybe a break will do the thread some good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.