1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Re-purposing an old rig, destroyed it's Z68X mobo, need advice on options.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SystemiK, 29 Aug 2020.

1. SystemiK

SystemiK New Member

Was hoping to pass an old gaming rig (GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 / i7-2600k / GTX 1060) to my girlfriends son who is interested in moving over from console gaming. Unfortunately I have destroyed that mobo socket (RIP MOFO). My quandary at this point is whether it makes sense trying to find a used Z68 or just bite the bullet and buy a new processor and mobo for him. Was hoping not to go out of pocket but now I'm committed, he has already purchased a PSU and monitor for the project. Given that I still have functional: 2600k / GTX 1060 / 16GB DDR3 to work with, what makes more sense here, ditch the 2600k and go for new mobo/CPU/Memory or do I still have options finding a decent z68 board? What would you do in this situation.

I should also mention that the rig I built for my GF could also play a role here, in that I could possibly upgrade her rig and use those parts for her sons rig rather than buying new parts just for him.
    Her rig is : i5-8400 / Z370-A Pro / 16GB DDR4 / GTX 1080

Just stuck on what to do, had I not destroyed the mobo, this should have been cheap and painless, now I'm just confused. Could really use any advice from BT on what makes sense.

2. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

I would look around, see whats available, and if it makes since ... I mean if the only thing available is some used board for 100 bucks or something silly then just sell the cpu for 20 bucks and move on even if its only to a 3rd or 4th gen so you have the option to reuse the ddr3

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As V-T suggested, H61 / H67 / H77 will all tale the 2600K, but all you'll lose is the unlocked multiplier.

Depending on cost, it may be worth moving to 4th gen kit which will still be affordable and take your DDR3

5. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

The issue is cost for 4th gen. i5 Haswell CPUs aren't bad value on CEX at around £50 but the 4770K is £100 and the 4790K is even more and are the only options that work to keep a 4 core/8 thread build. In performance terms I doubt that move is justified. That and you can go newer than 4th gen and keep DDR3.

6th gen Skylake boards are the limit for DDR3 as some (mainly budget) boards support it - I found the Asus Z170-P D3 that both supports overclocking and DDR3 memory - so assuming you can find one it might be worth a look as something more suitable if we're talking about a basic build with an overclocked Skylake CPU (or Kaby Lake if the BIOS has been updated). The catch is that the i5 6600K still goes for around £100 and 2nd gen to 6th or 7th gen still isn't as much of an upgrade as moving to 8th gen or newer with 2 more cores for i5 CPUs.

With Sandy Bridge being 9 years old I'd move on if you have the money as more cores is definitely going to be more helpful in the medium to long term. It depends on how long you want a Sandy Bridge build to last. For 1-2 years it's worth replacing just the motherboard, 3-4 years the motherboard and CPU, 4+ I'd replace motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2020
    Arboreal likes this.
  6. SystemiK

SystemiK New Member

Thanks guys, I just bit the bullet and purchased him a Ryzen 3600 and and the Asus x570 Tuff Gaming Plus Wifi board. I have 16gb DDR 4 laying around to pair with it. Sucks that I ruined what could have been a somewhat decent entry level rig for him but now he'll have no worries anytime soon as far as upgrading goes. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Vault-Tec, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lucky lad! :happy: