1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Reactor Meltdown |20-07-2014|Illumitube crowdfunding only 1 week left!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skyrip, 26 Sep 2013.

?

which fitting type would you take (renders at post #43)

Poll closed 4 Feb 2014.
  1. round flange type

35.7%
  2. hexagon flange type

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. compression solid tube fitting

71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

Surface of the radiators (air side) is more than 27m^2 i will also use 1 standard 120mm alu rad to make sure i have enough cooling power
    Not sure where to place the 120 mm rad since the case will be pretty full when completed

2. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Wow, just wow. This is amazing Skyrip. You have skills to make grown men cry. Keep us updated.

3. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

furthermore i have a question for all you, i have a couple of hardtube fitting designs but i cant decide which to pick :p that is why i need your help.

the renders show the fitting with a 12mm tube(plexi) with a 14mm tube(alu) surrounding it, only the bottom thicker part is part of the flange.

firstup: flange type round:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next: flange hexagon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finally: compression:
    (in the small hole in the outer fitting a 3mm uv led will be placed, this should light up the uv green in the centre.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Theophilus_Field

Theophilus_Field If all else fails... use the surfacing tools

Holy Mother O' Milling those toolpaths!! :jawdrop:

What speeds/feeds are you using for the 0.4mm endmill?
    I've been using 10,000RPM and 200mm/min in 0.2mm steps for my 3 flute 0.5mm endmill. Probably completely wrong but it leaves an excellent finish.

:thumb:

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

Ooh, decisions, decisions, I'm really torn on this one. I love the industrial look that the round-flange one has, but I can also see how the compression one could look great with the UV LED. It would give a really cool glow to the coolant.

6. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

i was using 24k rpm with a speed of 200mm/min with steps of 0,06mm per run 2 flute.
    the endmill i was using was rather long therefore if i went faster or deeper it would break.

the speed you are using sounds about right if you have a shorter end piece(tip)

a good program to help determine your milling settings is: gwizzard.
    it is not so great for endmils <1mm so 1mm and thicker it works great for that.

yeah my thoughts exactly, i have made the parts of the compression one already so i will see how that one works out.
    will probably post the pics of them later today.

7. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

as i said before the parts of the compression version are finished, the nuts still need to get a m20x1 thread, tried it with an old tap but that one kind of ruined 2 pieces already, it wint in smoothly but refused to go out without the use of the hammer :p

tomorrow i should get a new and sharp one so there should be no problem there.

anyhow here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tomorrow i can hopefully finish the plexi parts and the nuts and show the completed part.

8. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

in verder nieuws:
    today i have been working on the montherboard/cpu cooler, now its completely finished with the exeption of 4 screws :p
    overview of the gpu cooler and the motherboard cooler:
    [​IMG]

cpu cooler top:
    [​IMG]

without the fittings:
    [​IMG]

plexi middle part:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bottom of the cpu cooler top:
    [​IMG]
    top with the plexi midle plate:
    [​IMG]

that is it for today, unfortionatally i did not have any more uv green plexiglass so the fittings need to be put on hold for a week. i hope to finish those next weekend.

9. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Really nice work. Every piece is precision fabricated loveliness. People often don't get the credit they deserve when using CNC equipment but I think the work you have produced so far shows the vision and skill level needed to do what you do. Look forward to following your progress.

10. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

thanks, getting a cnc to do what you want takes much more practice than learning to use a file or dremel for that matter.
    personally i do believe there are 2 types of people that use a cnc machine, the people that want to break the boundries to create stuf that has never been done before and the people that want to make modding easier (letting a machine do even the simpelest taks like cutting panels and windows)
    i personally believe the people that use it to make modding easier are the people that give the cnc work a bad name.
    it is just a shame that so few people use the opertunities those machines give to make something special.

11. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

today i have been working on the fittings, especially the uv rings that are going to be inside:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also test mounted the top radiator to see if it fits, luckely it does :)
    [​IMG]

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Staff

Super nice work. :thumb:

13. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

thanks, will show the fitting with a uv led inside tomorrow.

14. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

Wow, crazy milling (and design) work on those cooler plates! :jawdrop: Hope you don't mind if I use some of your work as inspiration for my (much lesser and unworthy) projects.

15. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

i dont mind at all, if i didnt want people to get insperation from my build i wouldnt have posted it :p unless it is for commercial purposes ofcourse :)

i have finished the fittings and have a couple of pics with the led installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

probably i will reduce the brightness of the led and install 1 on both ends because now i could see a purple ish glow around the led. wires to the led will most likely be super thin coated copper wire(0,2mm) like they use in transformers and electric motors. so they should hardly be noticable.

i also worked on the electric valves on the top radiator which is finished now but i have forgotten to take decent photo's during the day :wallbash: so i will show that later this week.

Marquee likes this.
  16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nice. The glow definitely has connotations with popular depictions of nuclear reactors. Cherenkov radiation and stuff. :)

17. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

actually it looks much more green in real life, it is just hard to make decent pics of something emitting light with a mobile phone camera :p i believe it is more sensitive for uv light making everything look much more blue than it really is. probably when i finish polishing them i will take a couple of good shots with a more decent camera :p

18. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

Cheap cameras often assume that the brightest light is supposed to be white, so they shift the color in the image that direction. All cameras are UV sensitive unless you use a filter though. So really you just need a proper white balance. And yeah, all cameras struggle taking photos of light sources anyway. Sorry if that's TMI, but I love photography almost as much as I do computers :)

In the meantime, I believe you that it looks green in real life. And holy crap, it's going to look amazing!

Nexxo likes this.
  19. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

thanks mate :)

i have a small update for today, last week i finished the large top radiator. i also made the connections for the valves for on the top radiator:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here is one with a 60led/m strip underneath, final rad will have a 120 led/m strip for better light distribution.
    [​IMG]

for now the project will be on hold for a couple of weeks because of a serious lack of funds :p and other projects that are more time critical.

20. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Wow, crazy stuff!