1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Reasons to Get Certifications

Discussion in 'Software' started by Confusitron, 18 Feb 2004.

1. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Can anyone tell me why I should get certifications? How will getting them benefit me? What the main certifications I should aim for getting? I could wait three years and get them when I'm in 11th grade (sophomore) or I could start learning about them now. I don't currently have any certifications.

I know how to make an RJ35, except I don't remember the color arrangement very well...

2. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

the first and second paragraphs don't have a lot to do with each other...

Oftentimes you can get a job as an entry level position, then as you move up and become more technical, they'll pay for your certs. That is the best way to go (same with a Master's IMO). That is if you want a job that requires certs and not a degree. Not very often do the two mix b/c certs are for hands on jobs and degrees (in computer related fields) are more theoretical. That's not always the case, as there are plenty of jobs that require a degree and is hands on, but I'm just generalizing.

Certs are for people who want to make money in computers, but don't want to get a degree (again, generalizing, that's not ALWAYS the case)

And the RJ-45 color order is OW O GS B BS G BrS Br where O=orange, G=green, B=blue, Br=brown, S=Stripe (white line down another color)

PS. Since you're so young, if you have the money and you wanna spend it on certs, it couldn't hurt to start whenever you think you're ready

3. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Simple reason:
    Give a job spec and a pile of (at least) 100 CVs to go through... what's the first filtering you do? Look for professional qualifications!

Is this the right way? Probably not - but if you assume that the people applying for a job have the competence to do the job, then your looking for that *little* extra.

As a contract developer I'm going to have to splash out about £6K to get my MCSD exams. I have no firm to sponsor me; so if I vet CVs for contract jobs then these speak out to me that they are committed...

As your young I would question spending out any money on courses and see if your exisiting curilculum can fit exams you want to do. The exams themselves are relatively cheap (~£100) .

Whether I am for or against these proprietry exams is a different question, the moot point is that companies will tend positively discriminate *maturer* job seekers (i.e. people looking for their second or third job change) if you have professional exams. Likewise some companies will train you as a golden handcuff (i.e. sponsor you through the exams and stay 2 years or pay back fees)

Personally if you are that interested in the vocation then I say go for it. Training is never wasted and if you come out the end with a recognised qualification - even better!

Edit:
    Sophomore? 11th Grade? I that at the end of a degree - ack! If so that makes you what? 18? 19? Personally if you can get job with a company you like, I'd worry about the exams then - exams are fine, but hey! enjoy yourself too.

Stu

Last edited: 18 Feb 2004
  4. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Though you acknowledge your generalisation I would say its a grossly biased. The implication that it's just about money is (to me) just plain wrong. Professional qualifications have been around in the world for decades, welding, building, diving, retail etc. Computing has only just caught on and in my mind about time too.

I have worked with people who have 15-20 years experience in development yet are unable to do the most fundamental aspects of design or program.

Current computing professional exams (I guess I'm talking microsft here) are not yet mature enough to completely invalidate the above situation (you could blag your way through an exam if your're lucky) - but they are way better than anything previous. I have been to interviews before where questions were set on the most difficult problems a person could think of, intended only to catch you an unwary candidate. Hopefully some respect can be afforded to people who have spent the time and study to get these exams and even out the playing field a little.

Another point : I have a degree am I after more money by achieving a certification? Hell no! I wont get any more money from it, but just like a doctor, I am continuing my education in order to keep up with current trends, technologies and developments and adding to my employability status.
    Computing is moving so fast, you cant afford to stay stagnant - learn or die: there are too many people trying to get into computing not too!

Ok - this appears to have been a rant; it was not intended to have been. Just a post from an old cynical codger having spent time with people who think that the term "developer" or "programmer" is a glib term. Its not - there are some very highly skilled people out there and some decent proofs (albeit in terms of an exam) would be very helpful when I sit down and interview people. In NO way am I saying it should be the only consideration, however to me it shows comittment, and determination to learn and therefore a positive thing to have.

Stu

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

In the good old days (?), an employer would recruit people with a mixture of skills, experience and potential. They would trained and moulded to do the job of the day, but would often be encouraged to grow in the job. They wanted you for the long-term. High staff turnover was the sign of a problem.

Over the last 10 or 15 years, that has changed. Now you dont have a job for life. Hence some companies now tend to employ people based on current skills, rather than on longer-term potential. Higher staff turnover is almost a bonus; 'Flexibility'! Why train staff when you can hire them with pre-learnt skills?

Hence, the growth in the popularity of proprietry qualifications from techno companies like Novell, MS & Cisco etc. A degree will still serve you better, but you might get your foot in the door with some proprietry certification.

Despite the market being what it is, the value of a 'classical' education (a degree for example) will still outweigh the value of certification, so I would concentrate on college first. If you can pick up some certificates on the way, it might help, but concentrate on transferrable skills (Eg. Database design), and experience.

Needless to say, I'm not certificated in any way, but I have my degree and I am a Chartered Engineer. This serves me than any MCP could. If you do go the degree route you might want to consider joining an appropriate professional institution (not sure which ones are available to you).

CJM
    [B.Eng MBCS C.Eng]

6. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

11th grade is not in "uni" or college here, that I know of. I am 14.

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

:D

Sorry... I'm no idea what 11th grade nor what sophomores are!

Only 14? In that case, what are you worrying about?

Just learn about what interests you and where your skills lie. You will have plenty of time to formalise it later on. Just do what you do in order to get to college.

CJM

8. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

FOURTEEN!

I can say only one thing! Enjoy life :D - you should be causing your parents hassle with one! :naughty: Its what teenagers do! It's their "reason d'etre"!

By all means worry about things! "Worry" about whether HalfLife2 will run on your PC or if Doom3 is just a figment of my imagination.

......worrying about certification at your age is amazing!