1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuilding my main folding rig

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by JackOfAll, 26 Apr 2009.

1. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

I found a couple of hours today to start on my main folding rig rebuild. Basically it's a case transplant - I'm moving the mb to a Mountain Mods case (an extended UFO with horiz mb tray), but adding a new loop just for the GPU's. The pair of GTX295's kick out some heat, so much so that I've had to leave the side panel off of the case they're currently installed in. Anyway, I found time to fit the fans, reservoirs, pump for GPU loop and other hardware to the case. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to move the rest of the hardware into the new case, and strip down the 295's so I can fit the EK water blocks. I took a couple of pics for a friend who wanted to get an idea of how much extra depth there is on the 'extended' version of the case. Thought I'd post them here. Quality is crap. Sorry.

[​IMG]

Front of case. The 2 EK Spin bay reservoirs look really cool when the loops are running. Impeller spins and coolant waterfalls down the acrylic fronts.

[​IMG]

View from back of front panel. 2 x XSPC RX360 rads. Top one will be for CPU and mb loop. Bottom rad for the GPUs. Pump for GPU loop is mounted on right hand side. CPU loop pump will be transferred with the mb and mounted on left hand side.

[​IMG]

Top of (reverse side) front panel.

[​IMG]

Bottom of (reverse side) front panel.

[​IMG]

View from exterior (real panel) looking forward. MB tray and PS 'missing' at the moment.

I'm considering adding a third GTX295 to this rig. We'll see. Want to get everything transferred to the new case and up and running first.

Oh, and below, another crap piccy - this time of the 'old' setup as it is at the moment. ie. the hardware that's being transferred into the new case.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You've made a nice start there Jack, should be a very nice rig when you have it finished! ood luck with the rest of the assembly :)

3. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Played with my first GTX 295 at work yesterday. :) it was strapped to an ASUS P6T Deluxe and a Core i7 965 Extreme Edition.
    twas good :)

it was in for repair cos the fool bought an Easycool 1050w PSU
    it died upon meeting his rig... :p

4. JackOfAll

Ta. Not going to be today. 'She who wears the trousers' has requested I attend to the garden.

5. JackOfAll

They are nice cards, but too expensive. They'll be even nicer next month when the single PCB version gets released!

Never heard of EasyCool. I've learnt my lesson with el' cheapo power supplies and now always stick to Be Quiet, Corsair and Enermax. Tracking down stability issues due to flakey power supplies is not my idea of fun.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

*whapow!* <-- that's the sound of you being whipped! Lol just kidding ;)

Easycool PSU on a rig that expensive... my my, someone learned their lesson the hard way, and has much more to learn I suspect :nono:

I always stick with the good brands, in everything tbh! Corsair, Antec, Be Quiet!and Tagan for PSU's especially. Tools are another thing that I believe spenidng more money on for the better quality product pays dividends.

7. JackOfAll

The state of the spare bedroom at the moment with the PC rebuild. I'll be due a whipping when she walks into that!

Agreed. It's worth spending a few $$$'s more on a decent PS. Just hurts a bit when the power supply costs more than the CPU.

Tools - agreed as well. Good quality tools last a long time.

8. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

Theres some deadly serious folding going on ! Your folding rig above owns my PC. Awsome work tbh love it :)

^_^

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Awesome rig that mate, interesting comments about the PSU's, I keep having problems with my rig freezing and I cant for the life of me work out why but it could be PSU related.... (will start me own thread anyway) :D