1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Reccomended Laptop brands

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyrilthefish, 10 Sep 2008.

1. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Just a quick question

I've been asked for advice on what make of model for a good laptop for a friend is... was wondering what people here would suggest.

Their requirements:
    -basic office/internet etc (well any laptop covers that)
    -Will be running a lot of music editing apps
    -Will be for playing DVDs
    -Won't be used for gaming at all
    -doesn't need to be small or overly portable

so i was thinking:
    -beefy CPU
    -decent memory
    -large HDD
    -large screen

that about covers it, anyone have particular suggestions (i don't have a lot bar getting them to avoid HP laptops from experience)

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Dell XPS? I have one and its very reliable and powerful at 13.3" too.

I havnt really had any problems that a reformat couldnt fix and I have only had to do that once!

I would definately buy again!

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

My Asus laptop was supurb, very stable, quick for the CPU, and very well made, would defo recomend Asus.

Sam

4. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

+1 to both Dell and Asus laptops, although I'd recommend a Studio 15 or 17 instead of an XPS.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

For heavy processing i'd go with the XPS... thought they're not cheap...

6. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

asus and toshiba.

7. Mike@TCT

Mike@TCT What's a Dremel?

Sony produce excellent quality laptops, sadly though they are quite expensive. Asus laptops tend to be quite flimsy, though to be fair this is reflected in the price. Toshiba are pretty good, the build quality being somewhere in between that of Sony and Asus. I haven't been elsewhere so I can't advise.

With regard to the specification of the laptop, I'd say a nice quick dual core processor and 4GB of RAM since you say the laptop will be running multiple programs at once..2 doesn't suffice with Vista in circumstances such as these.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Mum bought a Dell XPS (M1530) recently and hasn't had any issues. It's something I wouldn't complain about having. She mostly uses it for image editing, flash games and video.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Samsung? I like my q45 but obviously that wouldn't exactly be suitable for what you have described...

10. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

I've got a Dell XPS M1530. It's a really a top notch laptop and haven't had any hardware issue at all. Plus it looks really nice. Prior to this I had a Dell Inspiron laptop (forget the number) that was pretty good too. I'd say Dell makes some of the best laptops out there.

11. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I really like my Dell XPS M1330 and my dorm-mate has an XPS M1530 and it is equally nice. I'd definitely recommend either, and the M1530 can get a high-resolution screen and up to a 500GB hard-drive, so it seems to fit in-line with what you want out of it.

12. steelblade

steelblade What's a Dremel?

Erm not exactly recomendation but some stuff to consider, Ive had an Centrino Evesham and it was very well built - and the screen was superb until the inverter eventually went - other than that its still working. I now mainly use an C2duo Acer - mainly because it was cheap at the time, its powerfull and stable enough but the construction is cheapy at best, and the screen for graphics is a joke, its very bright and bleached regardless of settings and calibration. I also hate the glossy screen... dunno why they think they are a good idea???

Dunno if thats any help :)

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I've really been enjoying my Dell XPS M1530 since I got it the end of June this year. I outfitted it a bit more for casual gaming, so it was more expensive than it has to be. You might want to try the configurator and see what works out for you. I had also considered the M1330, but didn't go any further with it due to lack of graphic power for games.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

IBM/Lenovo laptops are in a class of their own. They're a good bit more reliable than anything else mentioned thus far, they're built very solidly - and if something does go wrong they're excellent for sorting you out.

On the other hand, they cost a few hundred pounds more than other laptops which are similarly specced. You're paying for the reliability, the robustness, the business features, and the support.

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

www.rizeon.com

Customisable specs in a few different ranges from office-workhorse right up to gaming behemoth, Very friendly & helpful staff, Quick customer service, Good prices.

Don't get taken in the by the overblown laptop industry, screw the big names. :thumb:

Wouldn't touch a Dell/Acer/HP/Toshiba/Asus ever again after the positive experiences I've had with Rizeon.

16. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Dell Studio 17" Cheescake.
    I have a 15" and it is absolutely great.
    The financing is fine too.