1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Rechargeable wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Foster, 27 Jul 2004.

1. Foster

Foster What's a Dremel?

Saw this idea mentioned in another thread but didn't want to hijack it by expanding on it there.

Has anyone thought about actually using the keystrokes as a means of generating electricity? Could the springs beneath the keys be wired up as coils and tiny magnets placed inside so that inductance could be generated? Would the amount of electricity generated this way be to small to even bother with?

Another possible way of recharging a battery could take advantage of the keyboard drawers many of us use. When the keyboard is slid back into it's closed position it could enter a inductance field. Basically charging each time it's put away but not having to worry about either connecting a wire or aligning it on some sort of exposed contact.

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

The inductance feild thing would work well if exectued well, and be quite cool.

The keystroke thing though would only give you tiny ammounts of power, especially given the effort it would take to wire it all up. Besides, in a keyboard there aren't any springs, just rubber pads.

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/arnoldpad/arnoldpad.htm :D

I would imagine if you used heavier wire, the heating wouldn't be a problem. You could also try do do the inductor a little bit neater and make a better magnetic field. Or using magnet wire to get in more winds. For more power you could use a full bridge rectifier, and some sort of regulator to prevent overcharging the keyboard.

4. Foster

Foster What's a Dremel?

How strong is the EMF field that this typically generates? Is it going to start rearranging the paper clips on your desk? Just wondering it this was something that'd adversely effect any magnetic storage medium or cause distortions on your monitor.

5. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

As strong or as weak as you like, depends how much current you let it have which can be easilly regulated to tune it up.

6. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

ever seen the watch (i think it was made by casio or swatch) that recharged when you shook it around. I would love to see someone do it with a keyboard. Because when you get pissed off while playing a game and shake the keyboard violently. You are doing two things recharging the batteries and relieving the tension of the game, at the same time. :hehe:

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

Just take a small piece of sheet metal and build the inductor on that. If you ground it, it will block the field from fiddling with the monitor. The faster you run it(frequency wize), the easier it will be to block the interference. I would run it around 200-500 hz, that way it won't mess with radio stuff, and it is long wave enough that prolonged exposure won't hurt you. (the emphasis is on the magnetic field though and not the EM rediation though) ideally you could run the inductor at its resonant frequency, but that would be pretty high since it would be at such a low inductance. It might whine or even be ultra sonic.

8. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

go and get yourself one of the torches that does the same thing.wire that into the some rechargable batteries and voila shaky rechargable keyboard

9. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Are you thinking of the old waterproof scuba watches that wound up when you shook them?

10. relix

relix Minimodder

A friend of mine has such a watch. After two days of not being shook around, the hands stops moving, but there's still a small battery in it that enables the watch to keep count of time for 10 years without moving the hands. So when you haven't shook it, the hands stop moving, and then when you shake it a bit again, the watch moves the hands to the correct position for the current time, and they move again.

11. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

no i was thinking of this

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Mod a few solar cells into the k/b? :idea:

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Plug it in when you go to bed? :idea:

14. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

i think that modding the flashlight or maybe a couple of flashlgihts like the one mentioned above in to the circuit would make this work just fine. some times solar cells can be quite expensive and if you had to remember to plug in your KB then you might as well get a wired one.

15. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

What's the fun in that? I mean that's almost halfway logical.

16. 1st time modder

i was looking through a sharper image magazine, and found a flashlight that does this feat for 25$, hopefully i can find it cheaper because dont most wireless keyboards run off of more than two AA batteries, and conidering that most flashlights that offer this feature only really recharge two batteries, the most logical thing to do would be to put two of them in together into the keyboard.

17. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

18. 1st time modder

Im sorry i dont live in Canada. But i did find a sharper image outlet store that had the same flashlights for 10$. Thank god i live in the bay area.