1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows recomendations on space flight games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Denis_iii, 25 Sep 2008.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

hey guys,

any recomendations on a good space flight game along the lines of wing commander series (no 2 was best) or even freelancer which was last space flight game I enjoyed?

not really interested in all trade and alliances and stuff etc, a good story and fun combat.

any ideas.......

2. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

well for trade and what not there are the following

Freelancer
    EVE Online
    X Series

For combat there is

Freespace
    Freespace 2
    Darkstar One
    And the above mentioned ones.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

cheers for that, darkstar one looks good, freespace a bit on the old side, worth it?

4. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Yep, especially Freespace 2 it's a classic.
    Starlancer is another good title which also allows co-op through the campaign.(up to 8 ppl if memory servers).

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

freespace 2 has been redone by a community. Works on modern systems, you can download it for free if I remember right. Worth the time, its a good game.

6. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

nothing has ever beaten tie fighter tbh

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Freelancer 2 is the daddy.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I second Starlancer - it's a really good game.

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

EVE Online is third person, has a lot of British players though but it's a very "serious" game and involves a lot of time and investment to be good and up to date with (shifting politics on a daily basis). But I love it :p

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

X2: The Threat is the only installment of the X franchise I will recommend. I haven't played X3 long enough to make up my mind about it, but it is much harder, more complicated than its predecessors. X3: Reunion has also amped up the cluelessness and lost-factor over any other space-themed game, to date. It is, however, stunningly beautiful.

12. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Active Member

The Freespace games are quite superb and the amount of mods for F2 are quite amazing. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter games were simply brilliant, the juggling of your energy resources between weapons, shields and engine power was always a tense and thrilling experience. I tried playing the games with a mouse but it was too difficult but much more manageable with a joystick, there were so many control options I opted for the Thrustmaster F22 and F16 joystick and throttle combo - much easier.

I also remember trying Tachyon - The Fringe as well, it was okay and played a lot like Elite but I didn't really play it extensively. It had Bruce Campbell as the voice of your character, he was pretty funny especially when you did dumb things. I also bought but didn't play Hegimonia- Legions of Iron as it got good reviews and look fantastic.

Didn't X2 have some problems, I seem to recall it didn't have any joystick support, was that right?

13. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

I loved the wing commander and freelancer for the action and story which is why Eve online is not for me.
    Never did any of the mods really for freelancer, once I had my drug running ship and had finished the story game was basically over for me.
    Thanks alot guys for the recomendations, I will def give Freespace a go once completed Darkstar one.
    I tried X2, not my cup of tea as to much well stuff. Wing Commander 2 will always be my benchmark, so miss bringing my ferret back in with it almost totally out of control as blasted up and then getting to see all the holes and laser burns :) kickass

14. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

starlancer loooooks sweeeet!!!! 8years old but def playable :) who needs a new pc!

Tags: