1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Recommend a £400 TV please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 21 Aug 2012.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so my parents are in the market for a new TV. their 21 month LG dropped to the ground because the flimsy plastic stand broke. no extended warranty because we believed in the bathtub curve. :duh:

Requirements:
    -40+ inches
    -at least 2 HDMI
    -good SD up-scaling
    -1080p
    -fantastic colours
    -great viewing angle
    -sturdy stand that won't break!

Not interested:
    -smart TV
    -3D TV
    -disk player

so presumably an older model is better? but i've no idea what TV to get, as any review/retail site will push you towards a newer 3D or smart TV.

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Go to Sainsburys or Tesco, normally some decent offers on branded products there.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I was in Currys/PCWorld the other day and they had some amazing LCD TVs at about the £400-450 mark. My bro is also considering taking the plunge and I told him just to ignore the 100Hz+ nonsense... you can still get a very nice TV without any of that palaver. :D

Another thing worth noting is that 40" is becoming an increasingly uncommon size... most TVs are bigger now.

4. wyx087

soooo do i just walk into a shop and stare at it? any tips how to tell it's a good TV?

with monitors, there's delta graphs to look at, in comprehensive reviews. with TV reviews, all they seem to care about is how it looks, no one really says what is the panel underneath, or much facts besides (often lying) spec sheet.

i want to avoid TN panels, and high input processing lag (this is different from panel response time)

5. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I bought a Samsung LE40C580 about a year and a half ago, and its a cracking TV.

I would suggest having a look at the newer version of the samsung line.

6. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

These large TVs would never use TN, although you will find that some of them have a better picture than others because some use very high quality VA (like our Bravia which has S-PVA) and some use a lesser quality panel which will still be a lot better than TN but might have poorer vibrancy, poorer contrast etc.

IMO it is pretty much a case of going and looking at the TV in person; if I was buying a new TV, I'd choose that over reading reviews any day of the week. Seeing something in person is how buying/selling used to be done in days gone by. ;)

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm looking for something with pretty much the exact same spec matey - but like you haven't found the perfect set yet. I might wait to see what 3D format the next gen consoles settle on.

HotUKDeals is worth watching.

9. wyx087

we will definitely go in store to look at them this weekend. i'll also be bringing a flash light to check out its anti-glare coating, since IIRC TV sections are usually dimly lit to make TV's look more vibrant and reduce glaring.

anything else to bring/check out when looking in person?

having said that, how about this one?
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-5-ue40eh5000-full-hd-40-led-tv-12350447-pdt.html
    the 5500 model reviewed here says it's pretty good. i presume difference between 5500 and 5000 is the smart TV part.

will keep an eye on HUKD. luckily i don't live with them, so i've still got a TV until the new one comes :lol:

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

That's one of the ones I looked at - very nice indeed. In saying that, I would urge you to see it for yourself before taking the plunge. One person might really like a TV and another might not. :D

11. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Check the richer sounds clearance stuff, usually some good deals on there, picked up a £1200 Samsung for £300. No remote or box was all as it was ex-display

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Take your parents with you and let them have a go with the remote control. No point in buying a TV they find confusing to operate. John Lewis will price match and offer a free 5 year guarantee on all TV's.

13. wyx087

thanks, will check out Richer sounds in Bristol and Reading as i drive back. with open box like that, it has to be checked out in person.

lol, they are not THAT old.

John Lewis has 5 year warranty, i personally don't buy into that (again, bathtub curve). their price match form did mention that the compulsory warranty will be taken into account, so it's quite off putting.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Lg make a few decent Tvs in that range

Lg 42Ls3400 is highly recommended £348 on amazon

Samsung Ue 40 eh 5000 is another one £387

15. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

The trouble with "store viewing" is they tend to crank the settings, to show them off, best, in store lighting, which is totally different to what you want at home. Probably best to make a "short list" of two or three, using a site like Which?, and then choose, in store, just between them.
    Personally, I like some of the latest Samsungs. Panasonic used to be good, but I think they've gone downhill, a bit.

wyx087 likes this.
  16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I don't get what your saying here? You have the one year manufacturers warranty and when that runs out John Lewis themselves cover you for the next four years. Their warranty scheme is quite highly regarded on AVForums.

17. wyx087

exactly! that's why i am asking for a few recommendations on here.

i am saying i don't value their 4 extra years of warranty and don't want to pay a penny extra for it. whereas their price match page suggests that they will value this into their price match.

of course, if you know that their price match will match somewhere else and the warranty is truly free, then i'll shut up and use their price match.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

When I last purchased a TV (Panasonic Plasma) most of the folks on AVForums were getting John Lewis to price match other stores so they could get the 5 year guarantee so I believe you don't have to pay extra for it. That was a few years ago now so it may have changed since then.

19. wyx087

let's hope they hadn't changed it :D. worth a try. thanks

20. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?