1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Recommend a GPU card thats sufficient enough to run 3 displays in desktop mode only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 3 Jun 2012.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

In theory that should work, although I can't say with 100% certainty purely because I honestly haven't used VGA in years.

2. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I think you need a 5450 with Display Port to use three displays, and if so you're probably better off looking at the 6670s where it's more common to get one (e.g. PC World has an Asus 6670 with Display Port for £50).

3. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Ah, now you've just confused me!... :angry: So, what you're saying it's not a guarantee?... And that the tech in the 4000 series still applies to the low spec 5000 series?... Unless 1 of the 3 connections is DP I will most probably only be able to use 2 of the ports ( 1 digital & 1 analogue or 2 digital only )?... Because Multi can apply to anything above 1 meaning 2 or more ( not more than 2 )!?...

In that case I'll be much safer & guaranteeing myself a tri-monitor GPU card by coughing up the cash leaving me slightly out of pocket in the mean time :p & buying a HD7750 ( or an equivilant older model ) or higher!... IMO any lesser would be a pointless upgrade from my current cards!...

Any more thoughts?...

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  4. trueno!

Apparently they are out of stock in my area!... Was that a good price for one of these cards?... Or would people here think otherwise?...

5. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

£50 is good for an HD6670, they usually sell for a bit more. You might want to consider a 6850 though, as it's hugely more powerful for about £30 more and will be easier to sell.

6. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

According to the specs at AMD, any reference 5450 or better can handle 3 displays. I doubt any custom design would provide less outputs than reference.

7. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I think it's that any 5450 can provide up to 3 displays, but as far as I know it only works with more than two if it includes a Display Port output. e.g. The Asus 5450s have 3 outputs, but don't list Eyefinity as a feature.

edit:

I just did a quick search, and from tomshardware review of the reference 5450:

This reference model includes DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort outputs, but manufacturers will have some leeway as to what to equip. Alternate models will likely come from the factory without a DisplayPort connector, even though this type of configuration would remove the option of a triple-monitor configuration.

8. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Right, to try and clear some stuff up for the OP:

Every ATI 5000 series card and above can support 3 monitors if it has a DisplayPort output. When you want to use all three outputs on a card, one of the monitors must be DisplayPort.

However, if you want to use 3 monitors and don't have a DisplayPort monitor, then you need to buy an Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter. It must be active - a passive adapter won't work.

For example: I have three screens. Two are DVI and one is VGA. On my graphics card, I have a DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs.

A DVI-VGA adapter is used to connect the VGA Monitor. An HDMI-DVI cable is used to connect the first DVI monitor, and an Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter is used in conjunction with a DVI lead to connect the second DVI adapter.

It is quite complicated to work out, and you do need to mix and match adapters quite a lot. What are the inputs available on your three screens and I can help you to work it out

EDIT: Sapphire's Flex range of cards support three monitors out of the box. This looks like it would work for you: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/30966...tml?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:30966683|prd:30966683

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  9. trueno!

Thanks for the clarifications!... I'd thought that was the case when I read about 4000 series needing a DP compatible display unit to run a third display unit or a DP-DVI active adapter connected between dvi port on third display unit to the DP port on the card...

I heard about the flex version that Sapphire brought on the 5770 cards to allow combination of three digital/analogue monitors without the need of DP adapter to run off the card, and I thought what a brilliant idea and couldn't understand why this couldn't be a normal feature AMD/ATI...

Currently my main display is Dell U2311H which has all the ports needed, a 17" VGA monitor, and a 32" FullHD TV which has a VGA & HDMI ports... So, realistically my best option is to find a decent upgrade GPU card ( to replace my current two Geforce ones ), that will have at least 1 DVI ( dual-link? ), 1 DP ( with a DP-DP cable ), & 1 HDMI ports...

Any suggestions on a recommended card that will do what I ask it to and maybe a little more ( as I'm gonna make it an upgrade anyways )?... I've heard the new HD7750 are pretty good for the value and if I get another one or better later, will crossfire pretty well?...

Hope this post didn't confuse anyone, and hope to hear some good suggestions!... :thumb:

- Sent from my CFX Skate via tapatalk...

10. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

But what are your requirements if you're looking to buy an upgrade? Is it for gaming? What resolution, etc?

11. Elton

So in this case, grab a HD6450 with a display port, drive your 2311H with DP, and the rest with anything.

You're all good.

If you're going to game then you might as well grab a HD6870 or a HD7850.

12. trueno!

I thought I already stated that in the OP title... I guess it isn't that clear to some of you's :p I'm mostly gonna be web browsing sites probably with high java/scripting content, streaming HD videos from sites such like Youtube & whatnot, downloading & watching anime, watching HD streamed / downloaded content on the TV, maybe some online games like on facebook, & play my music collection... I may or may not trial out some demos or some old DX9 / 10 games... There maybe a few other things I might do but I currently can't think of them atm...

If it's an upgrade I would expect the card to be at least one card model better or higher, it seems that the HD6450 runs relatively on par with both of my current ones which means it will be running a little more loaded because all three of my units will be running off the single card compared to 1 display off my main card & 2 off the secondary in my current set up... BUT, if the HD6450 with DP port can handle better than my current cards & is at a great price, then I'll get one & thank you later after testing it's stability against my usages...

Any more thoughts & opinions?... Also, please be gentle with your replies?

Thanks all ;)

13. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

If you just want to do desktop stuff and watch videos, there's no point in getting an expensive card, as these are aimed at gaming. A 7750 would be overkill.

14. trueno!

Even so, however, this upgrade will probably last me a few years as you can realise from my current GPUs ( as these cards are ancient! Aren't they?... :p )... May as well get me a semi-decent card ( which won't cost an arm & a leg also ) that's useful for many years instead of brand new low spec one where I will never use after its initial intent use & be just chucked with the rest of the junk parts I have already piling up, right or wrong?... :p So, it's probably better to put my cards to the scrap heap & replace with a more up-to-date ( slightly better or more better ) card instead, me thinks!?...

So, at least a HD 6670 with DP port is the way to go then?...

15. Elton

Yup! :) All you need is an AMD card with a displayport out and a monitor that takes it.

Your budget is?

16. trueno!

Well, I think I'll be looking in the regions of 50£-100£ ( including a purchase of a DP cable as well ) providing it will do better than my current cards, is good value to performance for the price, and the most important will run three displays ( one on DP ) from the card...

Hope you guys / gals can help point me in the right direction for some great deals on graphic cards which are in stock though!...

Much obliged to you all for helping me so much!... :thumb:

- Sent from my CFX Skate via tapatalk...

17. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

There's a factory overclocked 7750 on Scan for £88.54, leaving change for cables :)

18. trueno!

Found this card in the sales listings http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=233058 ... What if I get this card & then buy me self a cheap HD5450 for the additional 3rd & 4th display output?... What do you guys/gals think to this idea?... Would love to hear from someone asap please!?... :p

19. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Power hungry old monster.... LOL ! A modern card will use much less power, IMHO only.

dunx

20. Elton

That's an incredibly bizzare deal. I don't think that's a good idea given that CF drivers and such. It isn't bad, especially for the price (that's basically 2x 5770s) but I have a hard time justifying such excess.