1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Recommend me a 27" Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by talladega, 9 Aug 2010.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

As the title says. I am looking for a 27" lcd monitor.

Can you please give me some recommendations.

Must be 1080P obviously.

thanks

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Dell U2711 is the obvious choice.

When you say 1080p.. does it have to be 1920x1080? That's low res for such a big screen. Why not higher?

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

more res would be good too.

also, needs to NOT be expensive. like under $450 definitely.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well this is getting hard.
    The obvious choice is getting down a notch in size to a 24inch (1920x1200). Following Pokey suggestion, but the 24inch model, the U2410 is a great display. As you are in Canada, like myself, The U2410 is in special at 500$. If you are patient, I already saw it at 450$ here and there (on Thursdays for 1 day... usually, don't ask me why it's most of the time on Thursday).
    http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...tdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-8277

If that interest you, be sure to call Dell on the phone to order, as you can negotiate a price with them. You might need to try 1-2 extra times to fall with someone with long experience with the system, who knows how to do this. You can get free extension of warranty, the sound bar (if that interest you, but I would not, as they usually suck), or price reduction.
    For me I got an HDMI cable, DVI cable (the monitor comes with one already, but has 2 DVI ports), and 20$ off. Hey you can't say no to free, whether I'll use these cables or not :D
    This was back in October 2009, when the monitor was fairly new in Canada, and was 750$ originally.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

7. GoodBytes

Yea, that is going to be sooo bad... hard to read text and everything... Not mention: glossy and the lack of adjusting the screen.

But yea, you kinda don't have a choice. (TN and low res.)

The monitor is not available at NewEgg Canada (newegg.ca)

It is however available at 390$ at NCIX:
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54623&vpn=VE276Q&manufacture=ASUS

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Whats wrong with TN?

Also I should mention that I am currently using a 19" Samsung 940BW

9. GoodBytes

Oh nothing much other than:
    - All TN panels are 6-bit panels. That means they can produce only 262 144 colors, and not the 16 777 216 colors natively. To try and produce 16.7 million colors, it takes 2 of closes colors from it's color pallet and switch between them at max the speed of the refresh time (2/5ms), in the vein hope to try and trick your eyes in seeing the correct color. But sadly, your eyes (which can see several billion colors) and kick ass image processor, can detect all that. And the result is that the colors are wrong. For instance (something common, if it's not this color it's another), green doesn't appear green, it appear yellow/green'ish color, or/and red is more orange.

- Low quality CFL back light or white LED back light. CFL backlit are great, if they are high end ones, else they are not good producing this yellow or blu'ish white instead of real white. As for white LED's, white LED's doesn't exists. It's in reality light blue, or light yellow. LED back light is ideal on a laptop, as it consumes much less power. The ideal screen is RGB LED, where you have 3 LED of Red, green and blue (sometimes there is a forth assistant color to add any missing color), which can be calibrated, all spread out evenly on the back, to produce this real white light color, and uniformly. Sadly RGB backlight is, extremely expensive.

- Short view angle. Well the view angle is short.. as soon as you move, the colors shift. Bigger the screen, the more problematic the issue is. Test for yourself:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
    Wide view angle from plasma, CRT monitor, IPS and PVA panel prevents seeing gradients where there should not be one, and also allows you to sit and be anywhere on the room with no adjustment to the screen (well unless you are behind the screen). You might turn the screen to where you want, but you won't need to adjust it to the perfect location.

- Low quality liquid (LCD) used. Providing a lack of vivid color. To compensate for this, LCD manufacture uses extremely reflective, glossy screen films instead of staying with anti-glare one.

- Sever back light bleeding. On a black screen, you see these arcs around the screen... this is back-light bleeding. While 0 back-light bleeding is near impossible today, IPS and PVA panels have much less. TN panels tend to change the colors, while IPS and PVA have back-light bleeding, but much less, and insufficient to really alter the colors on your screen from looking at it.

- Lower quality build. As monitors with TN panels are aimed to be the least expensive as possible, they cut on quality. This can be presented with the lack of a fully adjustable stand, using a plastic stand and plastic mechanical system making a plastic crack sound every time you try to adjust the screen, and is stiff to move/adjust. Also, it can get loose over time after moving the screen a lot. Of course, I am not saying that all IPS/PVA are superb quality, but in general they are.

Video's:
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7C00BIzH8 (notice the color of the butterfly wings. It is really orange? Nope it's red :) )
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0acUxMaKo
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM&NR=1

Well that is pretty much it.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

everything that is said here is pretty accurate. when looking at larger screen size monitors price is usually proportionate to the quality. but if your really set on a 27" monitor that is capable of at least 1080p a hi-def tv might be more suitable.

11. Pookeyhead

Can I just point out that this is a gamma shift test page, and while shifts may be noticeable on some panels, in real life the shift will be much less noticeable on most screens. TN will obviously be worse. VA panels will usually do better in one direction than the other, and IPS will usually stand quite wide shifts before gamma changes are noticed. Always test a screen in the environment you will use it in, and test it with the images/source material you will be working with.

To sum up.

TN = cheap, usually very fast, but have the worst viewing angles.. sometimes shockingly bad to the point of the image inverting to a negative if angles are too wide.
    Fewer colours, but in reality this may not be the problem you think it is depending upon the dithering method used.
    Can have good contrast ratios, but only viewed head on.
    Try one out to see for yourself.

VA (MVA, PVA, S-PVA etc). Much wider viewing angles.
    The best black levels and usually, contrast ratio too.
    Capable of very accurate colours, and capable of very wide gamut (range of colours).
    Prone to gamma/contrast shifts with viewing angle.
    Certain models are prone to input lag.

IPS (e-IPS, H-IPS, S-IPS etc). Widest viewing angles for general use, but poor viewing angles for very low level/dark scenes.
    Poor black levels with many IPS panels exhibiting a white glow in blacks when viewed off axis.
    Best colour accuracy across viewing angles.
    Capable of the highest colour accuracy when calibrated.
    Capable of very wide gamut.
    Usually the slowest panels in terms of pixel response, although recently this seems to be improved... but often at the expense of input lag as with VA screens.

That's not exhaustive information, but as a rule of thumb, that pretty much sums it up. All this is based on both research knowledge, and actual experience with a wide variety of screens.

Consumer advice:

If you are a hard core gamer only, and I mean literally only just game - a good quality TN panel with no input lag will be a good choice. (If you are going down this route, make sure you get one with good rresponse times and ZERO input lag, as these are the ONLY reasons to buy a TN panel)

If you want a high quality general purpose screen for gaming, surfing, editing images and watching DVDs (especially in low light levels) get a high quality PVA screen, but look for ones with a good compromise between response time and low input lag (Good PVA panels have input lag times of around 30ms, or one to two frames... bad ones can be as high as 100ms).

If you are only concerned with colour accuracy across a wide viewing angle range, especially if you don't work in low light conditions, then get IPS. IPS can be great general purpose panels too, but be aware of the "black glow" issue if you often use it in low light levels. If this doesn't bother you, then choose IPS over VA.

Unless you work in Adobe RGB1998 colorspace for image editing, a wide gamut screen will do NOTHING for general use, and in fact will make colours look inaccurate unless the screen is profiled , and you only use colour managed software (this will manifest itself in over-saturated, very vivid colours). For general use, a standard (sRGB) screen is better... unless you like "in your face" colour. However, most wide gamut screens these days have a "sRGB" mode which will be fine for general use and can go a long way to solving teh problem. Unless you need a wide gamut though, you're paying extra for something you're only going to keep switched off.

For info on input lag, contrast ratios, gamut etc, look at sites like TFT Central or Prad, but bear in mind the sections I have put in BOLD text... these are subjective things that most review sites neglect to mention, and I have found out through personal experience, often at my own considerable expense.

As for your original question....

Apart from the Dell U2711 and Samsung 275T (Dell IPS and Samsung S-PVA, and both out of your price range) I can't think of one 27" panel I can recommend. They're either crippled in some way or TN panels . I'd consider a 24".

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

One thing I don't understand is why the jump from 22" to 24" is so hugely expensive. The Dell 2209WAf is £230; the U2410 is just under £500. Why does an extra 2" of panel on each side cost as much as the first 22" of it?

13. Pookeyhead

The 22" is a narrow gamut panel only covering 99% of sRGB, and is a cheaper e-IPS panel with far fewer inputs, whereas the U2410 is a high gamut H-IPS panel, and has more inputs and features.. HDCP and HDMI etc.

14. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

try the jump from 27" to 30"

15. Pookeyhead

LULZ. My wallet is still in intensive care.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Same, four TB drives and this dell 2209 took it out of me. I can't wait to have an actual job that yields actual money.

There are a lot of 24" panels in the £300 bracket on scan, but of course scan doesn't specify the panel type - will these be TN+film or IPS?

17. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

18. Pookeyhead

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

It is. However that wasn't a criteria by the original poster. He wanted 1080p or higher. I'm offering him an alternative that gives him a big monitor at a low price with a good resolution and colour range. I'm not the only one on these forums that praises this monitor, either.

Plus you said yourself further up, TN can be good at certain things. Personally, I think TN fits the bill of "Gaming Monitor" nicely, without needing to take out a loan for a newer technology ;)

20. Pookeyhead

Absolutely. It wasn't meant as "OMG.. it's TN.. that's crap!". It was merely to point it out in case anyone (OP especially) was interested in it. Some people don't want TN, especially if they rarely game.

Apologies if it seemed I was dissing your screen :) I'm not one of these "IPS is great and everything else is crap" advocates. I've just dropped the price of a decent used car on a S-PVA panel instead of IPS. You buy what's best for YOU, not what's popular.