1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Recommend me a ball head

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cthippo, 5 Mar 2013.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

My g/f and I use ball head camera mounts on our kayaks for a lot of out video, but I've had a number of the cheap ones fail in various ways recently and so I'm looking for something better. The good news is that they don't need to support a lot of weight since we're shooting with a GoPro and some Fuji P&S cameras. The bad news is that they need to work after repeated immersion in saltwater and the occasional mashing into the sand. I also need something where I can adjust it with gloves on, and that's not so large that I'll whack it with my paddle when paddling or rolling. It would also be nice if they were reasonably priced. I could see spending maybe $30 apiece if they were really really good. Each boat has one mount right now, but eventually I'm planning to add more, so cost is a factor.

All of our boats have 1/4"-20 bolts installed for attaching the mounts, but I could go to something different.

So far I've had one jam from corrosion so badly I had to cut the bolt holding it onto the boat to get it off, one where the bolt that goes into the camera snapped off when a wave shoved the boat into me and the one yesterday just plain fell apart. The $20 I spent for the floaty back for the GoPro has been a great investment!

2. Prime

Prime New Member