1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommend me a chair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 20 Mar 2016.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm on the lookout for a new chair for the man cave.

Max budget is £200, but I'd prefer to spend under £150 - I know it isn't much of a budget, but it is what it is, so there is little point in speccing something at £250 or silly money. I'd love a Humanscale Freedom, but can't and wont spend that kind of money.

I will consider second hand silly money chairs that fall within my budget - so if you know of an awesome model to look out for, typically available within my price range in used condition, speak up.

I don't care about "gaming" chairs - not looking for something with built-in speakers or a rumble pack - although my son's GT Omega is surprisingly comfortable and already on the list of chairs to consider.

I just want a decent quality high-backed chair with arms, that can tilt back for chilling out to music with my 'phones on, comfortable to use as an office/PC chair and not too bulky.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2016
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Quite recently my Herman Miller Sayl was looking a bit worse for wear so I looked on Ebay for a new chair. I had bought the Miller locally (via Ebay) about two years prior. I decided to go with a Humanscale Freedom Headrest. It had been completely reupholstered (properly too) and I paid £240 delivered for a £900 chair. I love it, but it could be said that it could come down to preference and personal taste. It does not lock, instead it goes with you when you lean back. It's articulated too, so the headrest comes forward to meet your head as you lean back. Lying back in it provides the best and most comfortable position I have ever had out of a chair..

Any way, enough waffle, what I would do is get something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelcase...666934?hash=item3d13b57ff6:g:LPIAAOSw9N1Vi85k

Which again has been completely reupholstered to look like new.

Here is exactly what I got.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Secondhan...455369?hash=item2ca9455949:g:jbsAAOSw7FRWUNlE

Barry (the guy I got it from) has lowered the price it seems. I did pick a slightly more expensive fabric though, going for a light blue. Barry was ace, and the chair has been nothing short of excellent, if it floats your boat (be sure to do your research first). But yeah, usually anything from Steelcase, Herman Miller and Humanscale would provide you with a much better experience than one of those bucket seats.

3. David

I've been doing a spot of reading and just realised the Humanscale doesn't have adjustable lumbar support. That could be a show stopper.

Nice find though - a high quality chair for ~ £200 is not to be sniffed at. I'll read further.

4. David

Vault-tec - what is your overall opinion of the Humanscale Freedom? Any niggles?

I've read a tonne of bad user reviews and I can't decide if people haven't correectly adjusted the chair back, seat and headrest to their needs or it really is a bad chair for sitting at a desk.

The idea of not being able to lock it is a bit strange, I'll admit, but I'm usually either fully reclined or fully upright in a chair.

5. stephen0205

stephen0205 Minimodder

can you get a maxnomic chair for your price range ? Like the ones they use on linus tech tips , i ve heard a few people praise them.

Look like a racing chair. Comfey

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Niggles are few. It's very well made and nice and wide. I do get a numb bum after about 12 hours in it, but that's to be expected really given I'm 5'10 and knocking on 18 stone.

It's the only chair I have ever sat in that has stopped my bad habits. I actually sit up straight in it which would be the first chair ever that I do that in. I usually cross my legs and sit like a hippy but I find it very comfy sitting up properly.

It does creak a bit (I should oil it really) but that's mainly down to how many moving parts it has.

The only really bad reviews I could find were for the non headrest version. I could not even imagine leaning back and sitting back in it without the headrest.

As I said if you're into lying back then this is the most comfortable office chair I have ever used. I also love how the arm rests can be dropped right down. All you do is lift and pull out slightly and they lower right down to the chair's base.

I guess my main niggle would be that tbh? it's quite ugly lol. My Herman Miller was definitely the better looking chair.

7. David

After much reading, I'm going for a Steelcase Leap V2.

8. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

I picked one up last year, it's a great chair, your arse/back will thank you :D.

Make sure to get one with the hydraulic seat thing (the seat slides forward as you recline); killer feature for me, especially if you're leaning back a lot.