1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Recommend me a desk/pedestal cooling fan that isn't a Dyson

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 30 May 2021.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's getting to that time of year again when my house becomes unbearably warm upstairs, so... as per title.

The problem with 'regular' fans is that it gets to a point where you're just moving warm sticky air around... While I have no doubt that the Dyson 'cooling' or 'hot and cold' fans are really good, I have absolutely no desire to give any money to that tosspot.

I'd even consider an air conditioner, if you can recommend one that: a) doesn't cost the earth (i.e. up to £300), b) doesn't sound like an industrial estate when in operation, and c) isn't just an evaporative water cooler being sold as an 'air conditioner'.

blackerthanblack likes this.
  2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

In 200-300 range you should be able to get a basic mobile AC (they will all be basically the same at that price point), in general they all suck unless you mod it to dual hose setup (or manage to find one as such), but if getting proper minisplit system is impossible - its better than a fan, though you'll pay in electricity quite a bit.

3. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

We have our bedroom on the top floor of a three-storey house with the window south-westerly facing, so it does get scorchingly hot in summer. We got an Inventor Magic AC and it's genuinely been transformational. Both of us can sleep with the noise just fine but appreciate not everyone could, and sorting out the exhaust hose is a pain. However if you're still interested looks like there's a smaller one around the £300 mark here on Amazon - main reason we went for this was the R290 refrigerant which appears to be much less environmentally unfriendly than some other ACs. But would definitely recommend.

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks all!

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Anything by Meaco. Their use of DC motors means noise isn't an issue, and wind speeds are mighty impressive. I have 2 x 260c, 1 x 360, 1 x 650 and 2 x 1056 to cool various rooms around the house, and I'm immensely impressed by all of them.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I haven't tried a Meaco a/c, but I have one of their dehumidifiers and it's belting - their kit seems very good.

Byron C and Arboreal like this.
  8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Worth noting that the lower the humidity the more bearable the temperature so a dehumidifier can help in summer as well as preventing damp/mold issues in winter.

Byron C likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Byron C likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Byron C likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Again, thanks for all the suggestions!