1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommend me a Dremel??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 19 Jun 2011.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

CPC gave a Premium award to the Dremal 4000-1/45. £85

They also gave the Dremal 300-30 the Approved award. £37

And there is the Everise Variable Speed Rotary Tool which comes with a 172-piece set and only costs £30.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So many choices :(

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Dremel 300 - I got mine for Christmas and have used it often, mostly for PC related stuff.

It's just fantastic.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Certainly not! :D It wasn't the only group test we did that month and the testing was pretty interesting I thought. Basically, Dremel deserves its reputation. The 300 is the one to go for if you don't want to spend more than £50 and I'd highly recommending getting it with a flexible shaft attachment. The Everise set is worth a look but isn't compatible with Dremel's attachments such as the flexible shaft (the head fittings should be fine though) but isn't as nice to use. Well worth picking up the mag if your in the market for a new rotary tool. :D:dremel:

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just think it'll help with robot building :)

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Methinks they want more of your money ;)

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well, they wont get mine :p

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Its just really quite a niche tool for the readers I would have thought, anyone who is serious about modding would surely ask on here?

Pretty poor magazine this month I thought, was about to subscribe but I will wait to see what happens next month as I don't want to pay £40 a month if the reviews are going to be based around power tools / pre-built machines.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

From my experience most of the wired devices tend to be solid, even the ones that aren't dremel branded :O

I'd have a look in my local hardware store if i were you, but if you go for a non-dremel disregard the 9001 included bits because they're shite. Dremel 402 mandrel + 426 fibre reinforced cutting wheel = cheesecake.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I used to have a Draper 'dremel'/rotary tool, and the tool itself was great but the bits that came with it [the drill bits/cutting disks etc.] were terrible. It doesn't matter how good the tool is if you just buy the el-cheapass cutting disks/bits.

12. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I thought it was good personally :D. I've never really modded before but I decided it would be a good time to start and bought the Dremel 300 based on their recommendations. It's a great tool- really easy and comfortable to use.
    You may want to change news agent mate, if you pay £40 a month I think you're being ripped off ;)

13. longweight

Ohhhhhh good spot S1W1! I think I meant £40 a year....!

Its fine if that is the way the magazine is going but I started buying it for component reviews and if next months mag has another large review of non PC components then I won't subscribe.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its just been a bit slow for components of late really, its the dry spell in the middle of the year, happens every year :)

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hmm from what I've seen the cutting discs are pretty much all the same (their are thin ones I don't really know why you would use those).. you can buy big packs of them here for almost nothing

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

TBH the rotary tools were a one off for the moment but no one has really done anything like it before, certainly not focussed on PC modding, which is what the reviews were about, hence I did most of the testing dealing with a standard PC case. We did have a separate case group test and the rest of the mag was pretty much as normal but you'd be surprised how many people that read CPC are interested in modding.

As for the tools and simply asking on bit-tech for recommendations, well, most seem to recommend Dremel and from personal use. My goal was to see if there are some bargains to be had and to some extent there were. As some people in this very thread are considering the Draper, well, clearly they'd benefit from reading the reviews too :D

17. longweight

Thats fine but I would rather read about hardware that you have tested properly, its hard to find trustworthy reviews of PC kit whereas the forums cover tools quite a bit and so do a few others so to me it just felt like a waste.... but each to their own, I was excited about this issue coming out and after 20 minutes of picking the proper hardware reviews out I felt a bit deflated....