1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Recommend me a Modular or Semi Modular PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 4 Nov 2014.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Hi all,

I am getting some irritating 'coil whine', I believe from my PSU, a corsair TX650. Given that I have had a replacement mainboard and 3 different GPU's in the 4 years I have had the PSU I am fairly confident the PSU is the cause and I have reached the end of my tolerance to the noise. Not all games do it, and it's not always bad but I really dislike too much PC noise.

I can get the PSU RMA's back to Corsair, but for some reason, I am unable to get the advance RMA (where you get a PSU replacement before sending in your current one to activate via the support portal) and since I don't want to be PSU deficient for 10-14 days I was hoping you guys could advise me on a Modular or Semi Modular PSU.

I do have plans to get a new GPU within the next 1-3 months depending on circumstances, so the PSU would need to consider any power to connectivity requirements.

I had a brief look but then realised there is too much choice and I just don't know enough about PSU's to make a decision on my own :)

As a start point, I looked at:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...odular-80plus-gold-135mm-fan-atx-power-supply

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/630w...bronze-120mm-rifle-bearing-silent-fan-atx-psu

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-corsair-cs650m-hybrid-modular-80plus-gold-1x120mm-atx-v292-psu

Any tips?
    Ta!

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've got the 750w version of the EVGA Supernova G2, fantastic PSU. Really powerful single 12v rail, no coil whine i've ever noticed and the fan doesn't turn on until it's under a certain amount of load. Seems very solid, stable and reliable with excellent build quality. The thing looks pretty rugged.

Did I also mention it has a 10 year warranty and is 80+ gold?

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you want the ultimate in silence consider a Seasonic passive unit. I have the 460W unit powering my sig rig, wich barely pulls half of the supply's rated power from the wall when gaming hard. Mt previous card was an OC'd 770, and our CPUs barely differ in terms of power consumption.

It's not a cheap option, but it's also not garish, built unbelievably well and you get 7 years of hassle-free warranty. I fully expect mine to still be in use long after that.

Unless you plan to go the SLI route down the line anything over 500W is a complete waste of resources, spend the additional pennies on a more efficient unit.

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Not such a result methinks - I've had three RM's go pop in four months 1 x 550W (client build, three months) 1 x 550W (mine, eight weeks) and 1 x 850W (72 minutes).

I'll say no more other than I hope the surge protection at home works, when mine went pop it took out the ring main and the RCD.

7. Darkwisdom

Can you even use a unit so low with something like a GTX 970?

8. Shirty

I use a 980, overclocked to a shade under 1.4GHz on the core and 8GHz on the memory. I can only break 300W from the wall if I run a stress benchmark, gaming stays under 260W most of the time.

Ivy, Maxwell and SSD - WOW, so power, such efficient.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Do you mean it tripped the power switches in your accommodation?

If it does end up a dodgy replacement, I will just re-rma it for a different model and sell the RMA, knowing that I have been recommended some other good PSU's from this thread. Worth a punt, given the cost of the RMA agreed is just the cost of sending a PSU to holland.

I had a quick look at some reviews for the RM650, seems ok to me, nothing amazing but probably no worse than I originally had, pre coil whine.

My limited knowledge of PSUs was that it's more important to have stable amps delivered over the main rails, than raw wattage numbers?

10. Shirty

That is correct. As you probably know, cheap "gaming" PSUs often quote their peak or burst maximum wattage as the rated wattage of the PSU. This is not only incorrect, but it's potentially harmful to your hardware.

Spend a bit extra on a PSU that has been independently reviewed and can supply a good, stable current with enough juice at 12v to drive whatever you need it to. My 460W PSU is capable of providing 456W cleanly on the 12v channel, although in reality you really wouldn't want to do that! But 38A is way in excess of what my machine would require, even if every component was stressed to the maximum.

EDIT: Just for fun I chucked my rig details into a PSU calculator, which supports my theory perfectly:

[​IMG]

Source.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
  11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Signature for my rec.

12. Darkwisdom

Nice, I might look into something passive for future builds, the less fans the better.

I know that a stable rail is better than the wattage, but I didn't know you could run such a high end rig on such a low wattage. Man, what i'm using is overkill then.

13. Shirty

Don't fret, I went from a 650W, to a 720W, 850W (admittedly I was tinkering with SLI at the time), 550W and finally landed at a 460W. Interestingly, the 460W I'm using now is also the most expensive PSU I've ever used :lol:

I've got no problem with people using overkill PSUs if they want to, and they are essential if you think you might add more GPU grunt down the line. But if you know what you're going to stick with for some time then what's the point? Get more features on a lower rated supply for the same money.

14. Darkwisdom

Good insight. I'm very unlikely to get SLI as single GPU cards are just so powerful nowadays. I'm not going to playing at 4K ultra anytime soon either.

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Accommodation???

ROTFL

I don't live in a bloody hostel Matt :duh:

A 550W Corsair RM Series PSU tripped the breaker for the Ring Main and the Residual Current Device at my home address when it blew yes. Save yourself the pointless aggravation now and cop for a SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 650W Fully Modular PSU, sell the Corsair shite when it arrives.

EDIT -

What I'm basically saying is a high quality PSU is not something you want to be skimping on, should one blow and the surge protection not prevail...

Better safe than sorry I think you'll agree.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Nov 2014
  16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have the same unit.
    What he said.

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Er Paul, no offence meant, obviously, but I have no idea if you live in a House, Flat, Mansion or House Boat so accommodation does not seen an unreasonable term AND I have no idea what you were on about in terms of the PSU "taking out" your ring main.

Anyway, i'm sure it will be ok and if not, I got an ok option :D

18. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

New PSU Arrived last week up and running now - love modular, so much easier to install!

I really like how quiet it is and how the fan only starts to spin once it exceeds a certain temperature.

Posted the RMA back today, 3 kilograms, £35 to send to Holland (£42 if you want a signature and tracking!), this via the post office, who used parcel force. The geographic location of RMA depots should be a consideration for hardware purchases :D