1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommend me an Airbrush & Aircompressor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 11 Jun 2017.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have recently gotten into Tamiya 1/35th scale models.

I enjoy building them but when it comes to painting them, it seems brush painting with Tamiya paints is a bit tricky (bad brush lines etc.)

I have decided to Airbrush the models, so now need a reasonable quality air brush and compressor that won't break the bank.

For a start point, and with little experience, just some research I have identified the following:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006MTQ...UTF8&colid=1CP49K37S5G6H&coliid=IJQCA9JRSO0PI

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1FP...lid=1CP49K37S5G6H&coliid=I3V1NQ0AUZPMNL&psc=1

Anyone here got some experience of this an can make a few recommendations?
    Thanks.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Tamiya paints are excellent but a good AB will make all the difference. the AB you linked looks like a decent double action jobbie but id recommend getting a compressor with an bottle and water trap, without a bottle you're probably looking at 20mins spraying before needing to let the compressor cool off

its been a while since ive done any modelling tho :(

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ahh ok, good advice, Thanks.
    I opted for this one in the end:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0192X5HFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to hold off on getting a better quality Airbrush until I find my feet with the cheapo one provided with the Compressor.

I have been watching a you tuber (andy's hobby headquarters), instead of using Tamiya spray primer, he uses thinned Tamiya Nato Black to apply a so called 'shadow coat' to the models to act as a primer and goes from there. He get's some really excellent finishes!

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i always use primer before preshading, if you want to practice get some plastic spoons and practice various techniques on them. oh and never cut corners on your prepwork, it'll make things harder later on.

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah, my mid term plan is to use the cheaper brush as a primer brush and have a better quality one for more detailed work, once i'm confident with it. I just don't want to be dependent on the spay cans if I can prime with the Air Brush directly is all.

I hear ya on the prep work, I used to paint planes with enamel paints when I was in my teens, agree prep is the difference between a good finish and a poor one. enamel paints seemed easy to brush paint with compared to these Tamiya Acrylics.
    I have some X20A thinner so I will do some spoon paining until I get the right consistency!

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Just a little update, I sprayed my Tiger 2 last night, using a pot of Tamiya black (XF-1 maybe), it was a new pot, so I added enough X20A thinner to taking the level to near the top of the pot, leaving a little airgap.
    It was an interesting experience, nice to be able to to cover such a large surface area so easily and not a brush mark in sight. As for the finish, it's hard to tell (it is a black base coat after all) and the model of a bit of a botch job: Primed, Poorly painted, primed again to cover it up (with brush marks still visible) and now sprayed again!

Now this is my first Airbrush, dual action at that and maybe I am being a bit ham fingered but the trigger on it seems a little...unsubtle, there does not seem to be much range between too slow and blasting it out.
    The compressor itself seem good quality, no air leaks, only comes on when tank presser is below a certain threshold, relativity quiet when it is running, a nice quality braided quick release hose, an attached airbush holder (very handy given I pain on a little work bench in the garage) and the filer/water trap is working already.

I'm going to try and pain the Camo Pattern tonight, then I will get a feel if the airbrush is really any good. If not, then I will keep it for base coating, a nice convenience meaning I won't have to clean it between Base and Pattern Coats.

I have a Panther to paint, followed by a Panzer 4 I am in the process of building and an untouched tiger 1 so I have plenty to practice and hopefully improve on.
    I will post some pictures of my likely terrible painting for a verbal savaging/suggested improvements!

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dont mix paint and thinner in the pot, get a pipette and make a 2/1 batch in the cup of your airbrush and work from there.

it'll take time to get used to using your AB hence why i said practice on spoons, it sounds like you may have your psi a little too high hence it blasting out at full pelt.

oh and always prime!

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

All good advice. I picked up a bunch of lidded mixing jars and pipippets at the weekend as it turns out, along with about 12 more tamiya colours.

I turned the pressure down to about 25 psi but it still blasts too hard for my liking. I also get a small amount of initial splatter, which is a bit annoying.
    Im using a 60/40 paint to thinner mix.

First airbrush pass images:
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiSnAEAxX4Yij3EuJGbpPki72N5R
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiSnAEAxX4Yij2_q-J4_WikYITGy
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiSnAEAxX4Yij3AL0BLe4_eFpMCn

Compared to my first abomination:
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiSnAEAxX4Yij2JbJlz7TOleuCy5

Last edited: 15 Jun 2017
  9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i like the giraffe tank :D

25psi is too high, mix the paint 2 parts thinner 1 part paint and try around 10 psi, you'll find that you should now get more play on the trigger as opposed to it being on/off. :thumb:

also: what are you using for thinner?

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Thanks. I hated the brush lines and pattern on the giraffe tank lol!

Will drop the psi and see how I get on. Will also thin the paint further. I was worried about over thinning but I never imagined using a 2:1 thinner to paint ratio!
    Currently using tamiya x20a thinner.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

x20a is good, just remember to put the lid back on when your done with it. **** evaporates fast.

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I tend to put the lid back on anyway to avoid me knocking it over (clumsy oaf syndrome...!) but I had noticed its fast evaporation. I reckon if you mistakenly left off the cap, went for a Cuppa and came back, you have lost 50% of it.

Tell me though, the Tamiya 'Clear' can I use that as a protection layer when im done painting, detailing adding the decals or do I need a different product for that?

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

use clear gloss before decaling (with softener) and panel washing, seal it with the matt sealer afterwards.