1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Recommend me an RJ45 crimp tool

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ferret141, 5 Feb 2013.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of ethernet cable crimping coming up. Is there a particular brand or model you guys would recommend. I have used a friend's Silverline/Rolson crimping tool and didn't like it (I wonder if the Maplin connectors I used weren't meant for solid core cables). Would be a bonus if it can do RJ11 or has a exchangeable die for crimping other connectors.

2. Booti

Booti Member

I can't recommend a brand, but general any crimp tool that has a ratchet mech built in will give you a better result as you have to squeeze it until the crimp is complete.
    Otherwise you are just relying on your hand gril to get the same pressure each time.

I personally use something similar to these
    http://ordering.nimans.net/product/16126/mills-rj11--rj45-ratchet-crimper

3. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

I bought the crimper that Clas Ohlson sells, paid 20 euros and I have crimped hundreds of ends with it. Still works like new. Its also all in one that does C8P8, C6P6, C4P4.

4. Jaybles

Jaybles New Member

I can't recommend one but I can recommend which one not to get. Maplin's one rolled the pins sideways so the connector was uselss. Do not buy :)

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

Got one for about £3.50 off Amazon, hasn't arrived yet though.

Should be interesting to see how it is :)

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

http://www.amazon.co.uk/None-RJ45-CRIMP-TOOL/dp/B000NOOOQ4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360169925&sr=8-7

I have this, have had it for nearly 2 years, have crimped maybe 1,500 rj45 jacks in that time and it still fine. Just fine I spose, it's not as easy as some tools I have used and it's not as bad as some others. Like, there is no fancy pivot or anything to make crimping less effort, but I don't think that is really necessary unless you have strength equal to a small animal.

It's also serviceable in that all the parts on it are changeable. And you can swap out the die should you need to change it for a different connector, I have a die about somewhere for rj11 as I have seldom had to terminate those.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2013