1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Recommend me some wireless kit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtificialHero, 5 Jul 2005.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hey all,

Our new house is going to be hooked up with wireless internet. Can someone recommend me a wireless router+adsl modem (must have at least 1 wired port too, for xbox), a pci wireless card, and a pcmcia wireless card?

cheers

AH

2. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Why don't you just buy all the parts seperatly? In my opinion it would be cheaper.

3. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Ummm... I'm going to?

The reason I'm asking is because I know NOTHING about wireless networking, so thought someone could recommend me good reliable kit that I can buy. Don't think I implied anywhere I wanted to buy it all in one box, that would be silly.

AH

4. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

OK, the reason I said that was because the wireless all-in-one boxes are normall called kits. I can't think of anything good to recommend but I've been happy with all the wifi routers by Netgear and with my orinoco wireless card for my laptop(expensive because it has good range and runs a good chip) and my mom has a belkin pci card but I don't like it that much cuts signal too much.

5. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz New Member

if you want quality products that are easy to set-up and never let you down, go with netgear, they may be a it pricy, but i've never looked back. you may want to specify what speed you want. like a 56 or a 108 router?

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Netgear aren't really pricey...

Personally, I have Linksys and it all works great. The USB adapters are way better than most others - a USB cable attaching to the adapter box - has the reliability of a PCI card but the much convenience of a USB 'stick' adapter.

Basically, go for one of the big brands that everybody knows and you wont go wrong. Arguabbly it is better if you can buy kit from the same munufacturer - reduces risk of compatibility issues.

Chris

7. Vittorio

Vittorio New Member

For me everyday of the week it has to be Cisco Kit, it works and can be configured to what ever you need. Also there new 108Mbps Wireless kit realy does kick arse and it is also backwards compatable with 802.11b.

You get what you pay for, but if you want to do it on the cheap then go for the Linksys kit.

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Netgear or Dlink gets my vote, Linksys I'd steer clear from personally (had friends/family with Linksys wireless kit and all have had problems, range seems poor and the connection dropped quite often).

3com, personally I'd avoid like the plague, despite the good things people say about them...I've had 2 wireless routers by them, the first one broke (started giving out random IP addresses rather than those 'fixed' in its settings, and the WAN port stopped working) and it took them 1 and a half months to send me a new one, and the second one died within 3 weeks. Their customer service representatives made it difficult for me to RMA it, having noted that I had already RMA'd a router before. The fault must be my error they said....so I gave up, chucked it in the bin and bought a netgear. Will never buy 3com again :thumb:

9. SJH

SJH Active Member

Another vote for Netgear, quick and painless to set up and their kit does actually look vaguely attractive compared to some of the other stuff you can get.

10. mediacoretex

mediacoretex New Member

i good deal is airlink prodects there cheap and realy good

11. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Linksys WRT54G + Gigantic Buffalo Antenna = Networking goodness. Personally, I've got all Linksys and it hasn't given me a lot of problems, except some of their print servers, but that's it. Otherwise, it's pretty good stuff.

Tags: