1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Recommend my friend some new headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r3loaded, 15 Sep 2011.

1. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Hey guys, a friend of mine needs a new pair of headphones. Since audio equipment isn't exactly my area of knowledge, I've decided to put this one out to you. His requirements are as follows:
    • Budget: £100-£200
    • Usage: Listening to music at home and while travelling on both a laptop and an iPod. Music format will be MP3 or iTunes AAC.
    • Preferred type: The ones that sit around the ears, completely covering them.
    • Other: Should be either noise-isolating or noise-cancelling - whichever works better. Either way, he doesn't want to hear any external noise.
    He'll be reading this thread, and would like to get any recommendations or advice you guys may have :)

2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Etymotic Research ER4P Earphones

foam tips will give the best isolation.

"good" sound cancelling headphones would be better but sound quality will suffer, so your friend needs to decide what's more important.

edit: it appears i've missed "The ones that sit around the ears, completely covering them." part, :eek:

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yep, he's already got Sennheiser CX500s for when portability is needed. :)

4. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

I normally recommend Sennheiser HD595s as they're great headphones, easy to drive and not to expensive, however they lack any noise isolation features (they're open back - the sound leaks out a little to create a more immersive experience, not something you want in a public environment though).

You may want to look into some closed back headphones, the Denon AHD2000s come to mind, but they'll probably be on the upper end of your budget (if not exceeding it). Personally I stay away from noise canceling headphones as I don't like anything interfering with the sound, if you don't mind that then see if any of the bose quietcomfort headphones are in your price range.