1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Recommendations for 13" Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oasked, 28 Feb 2010.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hi all,

My HP DV2630EA has died on me thanks to the famous nVidia G84/86 graphics problems, I spent 4 hours yesterday evening stripping it down and I replaced the thermal pad with AS5 and a copper spacer, but it died again after a few hours of use this morning. :(

As a result, I'm looking for a good 13 or 14" laptop with a dual-core processor. It also has to be CHEAP.

At the moment I'm looking at the Inspiron 13Z on Dell's outlet page (i.e. refurbished), and I can get a reasonable one of those (allbeit with Intel graphics :( for ~ £350). Any other suggestions?

I quite like the Samsung Q320, but it's far too expensive for me. Is the Inspiron 13Z a good choice?

Thanks! :thumb:

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I got a Vaio CW21FX for $699 (google tells me that's 458 pounds). I don't know if that's out of your budget but it had an i3, 4gb RAM, a nVidia GT310, a 500gb HDD, and all the other goodies that come with a laptop.

Edit: It's a 14"

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Have you looked at the Dell Vostro 13" ones? My experience of other Vostros has been good - I accidentally jumped off a ladder onto one and there wasn't a scratch.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Nice laptop, doesn't seem to be available this side of the Atlantic though. Amazon won't ship it internationally either... :(

EDIT: Found it with a different product name, its expensive though - £680. :( Linkage.

As for Vostros, they look ok - thanks for the heads up. Think I prefer the normal consumer models though.

EDIT: Yup, the Vostro 13 comes with rubbish Celeron's unless you spec it up quite high.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!