1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Recommendations for a router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakes, 22 Jan 2011.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Here's the situation. I've never been able to get my Mum's laptop to play nice with our network. My older router only supports WPA-PSK using TKIP encryption, which her laptop does not. So, we've mainly left it with no protection - and have occasionally noticed (and MAC-banned) suspicious clients.

Some 'not-welcomes' have started torrenting, so it's time to investigate encryption again. Can anyone recommend any ADSL routers? I want something fast and reliable - 1Gbps is a must, so is WPA using AES encryption.

On my network, I have
    iPhone, Android phone, 2x desktop pcs (wired), 3x laptops (wireless), printer (with print server), NAS, so any device would need to be able to handle all of this traffic.

Do you have any suggestions?

2. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

The D-Link DIR-655 is decent (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530) and I've had good performance with it. It has gigabit LAN speeds and excellent wireless performance - I can get signal in every room despite living in a four-story shared house with pretty thick ceilings in all the rooms. If you get its little brother, the DIR-615, you can flash DD-WRT on it which might tickle your fancy but if you want something stock the 655 fits the bill - and it's only 60 quid.

If you're looking for a more upmarket router, the 855 has every feature imaginable... http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=548

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

5. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

6. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Just an update. I ordered the D-Link DIR-655, and received it today. Unfortunately, I did this before I read smc8788's post, and so have a router with an ethernet port for internet. Lovely.

Thankfully, I've worked around it, I've disabled my old router's wireless and it simply acts as an ethernet modem (as you'd expect). So no harm done (though it is slightly irritating to have had to mess around with IP addresses for an hour or so.

I do think it's slightly misleading of whoever I was reading to advertise it as 'ADSL with modem', which to me implied that there was an embedded modem...