1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Recommendations for a Win7 Wireless adaptor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Southern, 1 Mar 2010.

1. Southern

Southern Lovable Internet Nutcase

Hi all,

Running a win7 machine and have been having godawful trouble with getting wireless adaptors to work on the damn thing. Ok, granted; my current 802.11g USB adaptors are cheap chinese ones with weird driver software that works fine in XP, but not win7.

Yes I have looked at the Windows 7 hardware compatibility guide on MS's website but it doesn't make things any easier. I'm getting sick of falling back to my iMac to get online in my room!

So!

Can anyone recommend me a UK retailer or E-tailer (links would be super helpful) that stocks a 802.11g USB or PCI/PCIe adaptor that is compatible with windows 7. Bonus points if it is simple to do.

Bootnote: I'm sitting 2 floors above the floor that has the wireless router I am using. Tall house but not much cat swinging space ;) otherwise I would have cut my own Rj45 cable yonks ago.

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Have you tried loading the Atheros drivers? worked for me!

3. Southern

Not really sure if that would work for me, as my current 802.11g adaptor is something called a BlueNext BN-WD54G rather than anything Atheros would work with.

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I'm using the same atheros drivers for a netgear usb adapter and a linksys card. Atheros make the chipsets that go into a lot of different branded devices, it just so happens that it turns out the AR500GS is in both of these....

It wouldn't hurt to try. I just guessed myself, & you say yours is a cheapie chinese unit so even more likely to be a generic chipset with a badge engineered branding & signature.

5. Golygus

Golygus New Member

This - Though It doesn't show or list it on scan's site, it comes with a USB extension that allows you to sit it anywhere.

Its based on a Ra-link chipset. Drivers are available on the RaLink website, if they are not bang up to date in the box!

Unlike Atheros, Ra-link release drivers to the general public. Though there is a community site that does what it can.

I prefer Intel adapters, but on cost, The Ra-link based ones are very good.

Also, if you use the ra-link software instead of the Edimax software, with a simple click, your PC becomes an Access point! :)

Last edited: 2 Mar 2010
  6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

7. Golygus

Golygus New Member

Thought its only 802.11b/g... These days 802.11n is advised - even if your router is not, it may some day be...

8. Southern

Lads and ladies, you have been stunning, thanks very much for your recommendations thus far. I'm going to have a look tonight and get ordering at the weekend.

Of course if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

By the way, Win7 is the 64bit flavour ;)

9. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Am typing this on win7 HP x64, and I'd forgotten, also have the PCIe abit unit adam mentioned.