Retro Recommended Abandonware sites

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rege, 28 Mar 2008.

1. Rege

Rege What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I am looking for many old games (atari, pc and amiga games), nonetheless I can't find many sites of great quality. Underdog is dead, I am looking for some live ones. Abandonia is the only site I know worth visiting.

Anyone knows a good place?

Cheers

Last edited: 28 Mar 2008
  2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

This is a legal grey area and one that is potentially a bit sticky - yes, I know abandonware is abandoned, but the copyright is still owned and so on.

So, without putting myself in legal danger and also advising people to do the same, I'll just say that there never was a bigger site than Underdogs and Abandonia is probably the best you'll find of it's type, though you should always troll their affiliates and links.

Also, if you legally own the games and are just searching for a back-up, as I'm sure you are, then you could probably find some olf Atari and Amiga ROMs to emulate easily. Google is your friend.

And, if you're looking for good Amiga games, I recommend Hunter. Awesome game and absolutely light years ahead of its time - a free roaming, mission based, full 3d combat and assassination game with land, sea and air vehicles, dozens of weapons and an incredibly sophisticated completion path involving everything from disguises and minefields to drugs and torture.

3. Rege

Rege What's a Dremel?

Yes, I know. Lucasarts etcetera, etcetera. No worries, I am not going to steal from anybody. Especially since I have loads and loads of original games, but all of them are on very old disks, so a back-up would be nice. :hip:

Hunter? Never played it. Will take a look. That is, of course, if I find a legal copy of it somewhere on e-bay - as everyone obviously does, since there is such an ample supply of amiga games these days...

Cheers

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Also try Classic Trash.

CT makes sure to host only games which they have permission to host from the copyright holder, but their collection still includes some classics and they offer Shareware/demos where the full version isn't available.

5. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I like Abandonia and the underdogs. Lots of shareware/demos and free games too. I was able to find some awesome old-school games like Blake Stone the other day.

Tags: