1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recovering Xbox hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZERODESIGN, 10 Oct 2008.

1. ZERODESIGN

ZERODESIGN New Member

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller:rock:

The harddrive on my xbox failed last night:jawdrop: loosing me allot of saved games, videos and achievements.
    Im wondering, is it possible to take the 2.5 sata drive out of my xbox, hook it up to my computer using an sata/usb adapter, and if i can save the drive, make a disk image of it and apply it to a new harddrive?

I know that there is a way to copy game saves between xboxes but is there a way to save the whole lot?

The loss of the hard drive itself isnt that bad, but its the data on it that is really important to me.

If i cant get the data back, im not sure i would have the heart to re-complete all those games.

BTW:i bought crisis for my pc this morning :jawdrop: its the only thing keeping me from smashing my xbox to bits.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Paul :thumb:

2. Dev25

Dev25 New Member

If its under warranty (1 year, high street retailer i.e game) what they generally do is to open a new box infront of you and swap the consoles and ask if you want to keep your hard drive cables etc.

If its 'sending back to Microsoft' them im not sure that you'll keep your saves

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Hang on a minute... if the hard drive has died, you are unlikely to be getting anything off it. Unless you are talking about a different kind of dead, where it is still alive.

Just see it as an opportunity to re-play all your games!

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If hooking it up to your computer isn't working out, put your ear to it whilst it's powered up. What sort of noise does it make? If it is accessible on your computer, maybe it's the sata data or power cable in the xbox, just a thought.

One thing you can try is to put it in an antistatic bag, then in a ziploc bag and put it in the freezer overnight. Be quick when you take it out and you might just have the time to back everything up off it. This is a last ditched attempt though.