1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 5 Oct 2011.

1. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

When bugs are fixed, tank aiming is put back to like RO1, and custom maps start coming out, this game will improve its score by at least 25%. But the in state its in at the moment, 60% seems about right.

Singleplayer shouldn't have even been considered being put into the game, I was saying that over a year ago. It's a total waste of development time, and i'm sure was only included so Tripwire could claim they made the first single player WW2 FPS where you can play as the Germans.

2. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I believe this is one of the best reviews on bit-tech in recent memory. Spot on.

The only real issue are the bugs and stats. Apart from that, the gameplay is excellent. I too would like to get a refund but i bought from greenman gaming so i'm SOL.

If you're on the fence i'd say to wait as well. Tripwire will add transport vehicles and more maps in upcoming content patches. Get in a sale at Christmas. There are also two total conversion mods on the way.

3. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

"The singleplayer mode isn’t great either. While we said earlier that the singleplayer mode isn’t the main draw of Red Orchestra 2, it’s still worth commenting on since time spent creating the singleplayer game could have been spent fixing the problems outlined above."

Even better, they should've foregone the multi-player version and concentrated on the single-player version. More people than could possibly be known or counted play only single-player games so they don't have to put up with all the hassle of on-line gaming. (Ping? I don't need no steenking PING!" I don't play no on-line crap games!)

4. Kaies

Kaies What's a Dremel?

I was interested in getting this, but after the review i may wait a while.

I would like to see a review on Nuclear Dawn, the game's not getting much publicity and its a little gem.

5. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

I really hope they iron the bugs out, it could be a fantastic game.

6. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Shame about the bugs- it sounds absolutely fantastic as a concept.
    Definetely one to get once patched.

Any chance of a brief re-review in a few months time? Not a full article, just an update perhaps? Anyway, great review BT, really enjoyed it.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Great review, will pick this up when the bugs are gone.

8. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

They just released a patch that fixes a host of problems. Chiefly among which are the stats and achievements being broken.

9. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

It's a pretty big patch? According to Steam it's ~3500MB...

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

That game has gone through more patches than I care to count. In the end I had to uninstall it just to stop Steam randomly munching my bandwidth for yet another update. Figured I'd give it a while to settle down.

Has to be said though, when it works, I reckon it's pretty much the best multiplayer FPS ever made. Never played anything even nearly so intense. It's a crying shame it's not got the bugs under control yet because I think this game really raises the bar over the established franchises like Battlefield and CoD in terms of atmosphere and immersion. The almost seamless way that characters fit into the world of RO2 is amazing to see.

11. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Like you guys have never played a game full of bugs (insert Rage, Fable 3, or any other console port here)!
    I find RO2 to be very realistic and challenging. I'm enjoying it very much and tripwire has released a patch to fix many problems and more patches will follow to improve the game depending on what the community wants!

Activision will not do that for you so enjoy the hacks, lag, and brokenness of CODmW1 version 4.0

12. swampy11

swampy11 What's a Dremel?

I have been playing RO2 in beta since the first day it appeared. Now that the retail version has arrived and has been patched, and not as often as implied in this forum, it has become a FFS of the first order. Graphics, sound effects, and music are unsurpassed.

Attention to detail in the maps are unbelievable. For example, you can find videos of the actual Grain Elevator's interior and the game matches it flawlessly.

The maps follow the course of the actual battle for the city: German advantage in the beginning with the Soviets just barely hanging on to then a shift to a Russian advantage as the noose tightens around the 6th Army trapped in the city.

The is NOT an arcade shooter. If you are used to tons of kills in each outing, RO2 is not f or you. However, if total realism is what gets your juices flowing, then Heroes of Stalingrad is your kind of game.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    6th Army.

14. swampy11

swampy11 What's a Dremel?

Typo, von Paulus forgive me;>}

Tags: Add Tags