1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Redid my watercooling loop. Always a fun time...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by legoman666, 20 Dec 2007.

1. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I just got a HD 3870 to replace my aging x1800xt. The plan is to use the 3870 as the main card to drive my 22" 226BW and to use the x1800xt to drive the two 19" LCD's to the left and right of the 22". Anyway, seeing as how everything in my computer was already watercooled, I had to watercool my 3870 also. So I got a nice EK block from Performance PC's: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=22870&zenid=f4dded69ff15c99561d73cb9faf3fd34 I also got a 5 1/4" Bay resevoir as an early christmas present so the plan was to add it to the loop at the same time as the new block.

Anyway, here's a pic showing the loop before tearing it all apart. Loop goes pump -> x1800xt -> CPU -> Rad1 -> Rad2 -> pump.
    [​IMG]
    bit of a close up on the main loop, and yes, it's quite messy. That was also something I wanted to address with this whole escapade.
    [​IMG]

Here's everything torn to pieces.
    (I'll add this pic when I get home)
    EDIT:
    [​IMG]

And here is the end result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I had to mount my fan controller vertically due to the new pump placement (which was moved because of the reservoir). A sinlge zip tie holds it in place rather nicely.

[​IMG]

Now the loop is as follows: pump -> x1800xt -> CPU -> Rad1 -> HD 3870 -> Rad2 -> reservoir -> pump. I have to say, using a reservoir to fill the loop and get all of the air out is about 20x easier than a fill port. Removing all of the air takes about 5 minutes instead of 2 hours.

I tried to make the wiring as nice as possible, but those power cables to the three hard drives sure are ugly and there really isn't anything I can do about it. But you have to admit, it does look nicer than it did before (this might be partly due to the fact that there are 4 less hard drives in it now than previously)

My new reservoir has a small leak in it. :waah: The manufacturer drills small holes so you can put LED's in it. Water leaks out very slowly of one of the holes. I did not discover this until I had completely filled the system. A piece of electrical tape is over it now as a temporary measure, but I'll need to fill the little hole with epoxy or caulk or something. You can see the electrical tape in one of the pics.

I'll post a pic or two of my whole setup later when I get home. Here's an old crappy pic:
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Nice, what part of ohio are you from?

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Colerain township in Cincinnati (NW Hamilton)!

4. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Awesome, I have an aunt living in Cinnci :)

5. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

haha, i live in mason...

6. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

nice job, love the setup