1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Reiser gets fifteen to life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

good riddance, let him rot.
    the confession sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a read.

on edit: the 34 page confession wasn't morbid in the least to me. it seemed simply just a description of how it all took place without much detail. the man seems very analytical. as Solidus says below, the man seems to be fighting with some memories and conflating/confusing parts of his story. nothing too morbid or sick in the thing, and I get the feeling he cut up the body or at the least, severed some parts for easier traveling with it (they don't make it clear in the PDF document).

Last edited: 2 Sep 2008
  3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

wow interesting read! quite captivating how a murderers mind works, it seems like he struggles allot with his memory at some points, perhaps he was really doing these things on a whim without thinking.. o_O

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

What I am surprised about is why Linux distros are dropping it, surely the people who make them are mostly logical, so realise RiserFS doesn't turn users into murderers. I don't see why what the programmer does in his free time should effect if people buy into it, especially people who would be expected to be more level headed than joe public.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It might be more that there is no one to support it. I don't know how hard writing a fs is but i doubt its the sort of thing one takes on as the maintainer lightly besides there are plenty of fs well maintained and with an owner.

6. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Possibley 15 years for taking the rest of somones life, where is the justice in that.

7. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

He could always be given a WiFi laptop in his cell lol.

8. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Fascinating interview. As to why it would be made public:

When presented with evidence from a centuries-old crime, we do not ask for taste and restraint to prevail, any more than scientists or doctors would prefer to know less about a subject that made them squeamish. The problem with publicly exploring more recent crimes is the near relations' lives that might be affected.

I myself am a man whose ex-girlfriend disappeared a few years after we stopped seeing each other. Though the relationship was over, I still wanted the best for her. If it were possible to know what happened to her, and to hear the confession of whoever took her, I would ask to hear it all. Better to know than reach into empty darkness for a lifetime.

Long ago, I wrote a book inspired by the girl who disappeared. It was published and won an award, so I imagine readers identified with my sense of loss. Years have passed and still I feel haunted by failure and regret. And when her case achieved notoriety, journalists and parasites began misrepresenting her life and character. They've continued doing for a decade.

In the absence of knowledge, we project our own sense of responsibility. However vain and misguided the exercise, we fantasize about going back in time and saving the lost one. Perhaps we do it for her sake, and perhaps to avoid the curse of conscience.

Whatever sordid truths emerge are still pieces of what was taken. Whatever can be regained, however vile, is a stepping stone toward peace. The questions are what pall, pall and call, as time winds down.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2008
Tags: Add Tags