1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:: Reload

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jamie, 11 Nov 2002.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Decided to put up what I have done in here and then port it to an article on the site at a later date. Time is tight at uni and I find myself with less time on BiT-Tech at the moment.

Here goes...

Project Reload started over the summer while I was windering what I could do with all the money I was earning ;)

The Idea is a small portable case for LAN's that has a nice first person shooter theme.

To begin with I went down to my Army Surplus store and picked up one of these:

[​IMG]

An army green ammo box complete with bullet proof lid genuine scratches from real use.

[​IMG]

Lid is sealed with rubber, the lid is actually heavier than the res of the box altogether which is a shame. As you can also see the bottom isn't flat.

[​IMG]

Heavy duty clamps hold the lid on, fully adjustable too :D The loop around the end is a handle which clips down when not in use.

[​IMG]

Once used by NATO, now used by BiT-Tech.

Cost of case, £14, Next update I will start to show how it will become a lan case to be proud of :)

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

n33t...a truly drop out of the car at 70 mph proof case...going to repaint it or leave it army green?

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

oooooh try and keep it as stock as you can. dude thats a totally sweet find! good luck with this project. that would-WILL be an amazing LAN box! have fun building it. if you need external switches... route some long cable to them and mount them in your keyboard so you dont mess the box up.

can you buy empty clips or even some spent shells or those dud greanades. you could make a flase bottom on top of your PC and put those in there and leave it open with them sittin there at LANs.

ooooh this is gonna turn out nice! I would love to get something like that.

4. Jamie

Your going to hate me :)

5. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

sweeet.

but how r ya gonna drill thru the box?

6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

7. relix

relix Minimodder

hehehe

this is way to funneh :D

the text "LOT ONBEKEND" is dutch, and means "Faith unknown"

lol, "LOT" can have an other meaning too but I like this one more :p

edit: tho it's funneh, this is gonna rule as a PC-case :D

Last edited: 11 Nov 2002
  8. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Yeah, that will be good, morphine has a cool idea with the shells, clips, and such on top.....

Maybe put some nice big EXPLOSIVE warnig labels on it?

Nice grab man. Have fun. I'm eager to see how this will turn out.

:rock: now just get that done and drive to LANs in an old Willy's jeep :rock:

9. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

camo keyboard, mouse, and monitor painting....

10. Jamie

no periferal moddage here guys ... purely case since I am but a poor student ;)

11. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I say no cutting into the case of the box.

Instead make a lid inside the box, that matches the case, with all components inside. (Slot loading DVD will work when virticaly mounted)

Make it so that when you open it it looks like a nuclear launch controller, military switches, lighted buttons. (Old school NOT BLUE led's)

Military surplus is cheap and you can probably rip apart broken stuff to get old parts.

Just don't try and take it to the airport!!!

12. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

13. Beatbox

Beatbox What's a Dremel?

WOW - Talk about ORIGINAL :eeek: !!!

Can't wait to see what your gonna do with it, sure it'll be a real sweet mod however it turns out :hip: .

14. Jamie

Going to be a pentium based system.

[​IMG]

Asus Motherboard (P4S333-FX) which is a flexATX form factor. Processor is a P4 2.0GHz

[​IMG]

Size testing...

[​IMG]

As you can see its very tight, and probably much smaller that you thought it looked.

[​IMG]

ATX PSU put in to show space that is left.

More to come

15. Jamie

The first bits of cutting I did were to mount the PSU since I knew where it had to go to give me enough room for all the bits I needed in it.

[​IMG]

Using these plastic rivits to mount the PSU, got a whole bag of them from my dad's work so don't ask me where to buy them.

[​IMG]

Mark out where the holes need to go...

[​IMG]

Drills some holes in the PSU, I took the PSU apart and drilled the half of the PSU case that wasn't attatched to the PCB's. Opening PSU's can be dangerous

[​IMG]

Two rivits in....

[​IMG]

All 4 in, nice and neat ... this is the bottom of the case which is raised so it doesn't matter that they stick out slightly.

[​IMG]

You can see the other side of the rivit here, I made sure while I was marking out that it wouldn't touch anything inside the PSU.

[​IMG]

Some views of the mounted PSU at one end of the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now.

16. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Nice work there so far. Nice idea on mounting the PSU. :D

Also, that box is quite a bit smaller than I thought it originally was:eeek: Good luck fitting all your bits in there!

can't wait for more moddage of the military kind :rock:

17. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Looking good so far man keep us informed :) Looks like a lotta dremelage on the back of the box is needed next ? for the powercable and psu fan ?

Should be cool when its done i think u should keep it looking as it is as much as u can dude it will look sweet sat next to the TV in ur room :)

18. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

intel!:rock: definetly a tight fit...considered sordereding onto the mobo connectors bottoms so u dont have to cut up the side of the case?

19. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

he would need a stand or feet attached to the case and it would have to be around 3 or more inches and even that could be tight for cables like monitor and the PSU

20. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Sweet - good to see it's in progress :clap:

I see you changed the orientation of the PSU - hows the cutting going & what are you using for it?
    I just picked up some diamond cutting wheels from my local tool shop - they make short work of a lot of things.