1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Remedy: Alan Wake PC is up to Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

In other words, a game they've spent most of it's development time saying how amazing it would be and how well it would use multicore processors and fast graphics cards and... well, generally high end rigs... will come out on the PC if Microsoft think it might make them a buck or two. Which it probably won't, if they spend time porting it properly, as everyone who wants it badly will have already bought it on the 360.

So then Microsoft can hold it up as another example of why developing PC games isn't worth it. Throw in some developer interview complaining about piracy rates, too.

I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

3. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I really hope Microsoft have the sense to release this on PC at least at some point shortly after the Xbox 360 release. And developers can stop using piracy as an excuse for no motivation as they can make their games only downloadable using services like Steam/direct2drive/GFWL, and have no store release, if they really want to.
    Oh and use the extra time to port it to DirectX 11 while you're at it.

4. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

^^ This +1

Microsoft have been using this excuse to shaft the PC for a while now. But true to form they will blame piracy and then some other devs will chime in and say what a disgusting ungrateful platform the PC is (rinse and repeat). Its getting almost formulaic now and incredibly old. The consoles will lose their lustre when DX11 comes as well as Larrabee. Then we shall see a reversal back to the PC... or at least I hope so

The PC deserves to be the focus of games like Alan Wake. Hopefully Remedy will tell MS to Foxtrot Oscar for their next game.

5. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

If Microsoft are so reluctant to release there games on the PC, why the hell do they keep developing there DX platform?

6. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

To keep games developers interested, and thus keep Windows usage up, at least in the consumer area.

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Xbox360 API is DirectX based...

(also you spelt "their" wrong twice)

8. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

We have known for ages MS are behind many PC game delays after the console release or not going to PC at all. They do more harm to PC then anyone else, why are these morons on the PC gaming alliance? Pc has so much more potential, yet they release games watered down and do nothing to take advantage of the extra Pc can do. Ms should be kicked off the Pc gaming alliance . MS would be happy to force people to buy a 360 and not play on PC where they can control everything and charge for more crap on live. BS.

how do they expect for Pc versions to sell when they come late, with no extra work to go into to make it a true PC game and utilize the extra a Pc can do?

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, 'there' is spelt correctly. It's simply the wrong homophone for that particular situation. :)

10. Lepermessiah

Spot on, what is sad is how many console gamers and the press will say "See, this is why Pc gaming is dieing". Idiots. Epic and MS sitting in a tree.......

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

This news killed any excitement I had for this game, even if it comes out on PC it will have been stifled by the 360 ala GTA:IV :S

12. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Oh god, don't even get me started on GTA:IV... Rockstar Social Club and Games for Windows Live invading my computer, plus a mandatory GFWL update to play offline? Not only that, it crashed immediately after the Rockstar intro sequence (cue Google round 1), and after I fixed that it crashed right after the intro cutscene (cue Google round 2). Even on draw distance 75 (this is on a GTX 275 with 1792MB, by the way - I bought it pretty much so I could play GTA:IV and everything else at 1920*1200), the game crashed halfway as I was going to the cab depot for the first "mission".

Not cool. Not cool at all.

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I got the GTA:IV dig in because I have just installed it (3 hours ago), I've dled the update 1.0.0.4 or something, but GFWL will not update >_< So i have to play in offline mode, I'm not bothered about online play, but that doesn't change the fact it doesn't work lol

14. Lepermessiah

GFWL + MS = epic bad. Why Ms keeps trying to standardize Pc when PC does not need nor want such a rubbish service for it's games. MS is so out of touch when it comes to PC.

15. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Ive always thought the best thing to do would be getting a 360 or PS3 and attaching it to a 24" 1080p (or 1920x1200) monitor and using a keyboard and mouse with it for FPSs. I have a friend who does that, and as a result, gets a very intimate PC experience without the hassle of having to upgrade his graphics card every 6 seconds to play that new game at reasonably high settings with a good framerate. He attached the keyboard and mouse to the 360 using some device, I forget the name.

16. Lepermessiah

The Musician has zero clue about PC gaming either, many including myself LOVE upgrading and tinkering with PC's, that's half the fun, we love gettign that extra performance, the better graphics, mods. Simply having a K/M does not equate to a PC experience in the slightest. Every 6 months? Say what? Hell, a 3 yr old 8800GT can max out all but a couple games still, hardly a hassle to upgrade once every couple years, every 6 months is total BS, and simply not even clsoe to accurate.

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Lepermessiah is right. When I had a 360, I quickly grew tired of half it's games not even being true 720p (let alone 1080p) and having a set framerate of about 30. Even if a game comes out on PC that at present I can only get 30 frames out of, it's great I will be able to have a better experience in a couple of years with the fps never dropping below 60 and full AA and AF.

As for Alan Wake probably no longer coming out on PC... I have been looking forward to this game somewhat ever since it was first used as a DX10 showcase. Severely disappointed.

18. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Well, he has pretty little money and got the monitor and 360 as a gift. It was quite an upgrade from his Radeon 9600. I'm sorry if I offended you.

19. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Does Microsoft have an acquired brain injury?

I'm currently using Ubuntu on a power-sipping Internet box (because I don't need to be sucking down 200w while browsing), and the only thing keeping me with Windows is games.

No games on PC = No Windows installation.

And in retaliation, it will also mean no Xbox or future MS equivalent. I'll suck down the rising vomit and buy from that other underpants stain, Sony (the Wii being too toy-like for me).

On a related subject, I thought Alan Wake was DX10 only, so how is it going to appear on the Xbox?

20. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Balls<<<<kick to!

Well i thought as much.Ive watched this game since it was announced, and im really disappointed. After all the graphical ho ha it turns out remedy are big fat liars. I though we were finally going to get a PC resident evil.

I wish there was another DX/ Open GL operating system so i could give M$ the old heave hoe.

Tags: Add Tags