1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Remembering the Sega Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Sep 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

^^

One of the most underrated consoles ever! I wasn't fortunate to own one but I remember playing on my friend's and I was so incredibly jealous. When I witnessed Soul Calibur for the first time my jaw hit the floor. Also Shenmue (I & II) had to be one of the best games there was for the Dreamcast.

Thanks for the article guys!

3. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH New Member

I bought one of these on Launch day - still has a fond place in my heart had some wicked times with my mates on this. Special mention to House of the dead 2 with it's light gun ! Good Times. :D

4. Chr!s

Chr!s New Member

I had a Dreamcast within 2 weeks of them being released, remember it really fondly. I can't however remember how I managed to afford it, at the age of 13, must of been the paper round.

I will always remember the day I turned off the "Adult Content" filter, hooked it up to my phone line and had my first experience of FHM online. :blush::lol:

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

A great console, I think i still have mine in the loft. Best game for me was Virtua Tennis. Very involving, although crippled your thumbs.

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Thanks to Crazy Taxi I still can't listen to The Offspring while driving for fear of going on a crazed rampage. True story!

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Active Member

@hugoB I have similar problems with Trackmania. I don't think My stilo will ever hit 720mph though...

Where's Chu-Chu Rocket(sp?)?! I played that game for hours and hours and even got it on the GBA for long journeys!

8. Mentai

Mentai New Member

Wow 10 years ago... that means I would have been 10 when I first played crazy taxi. That game was amazingly awesome for an hour, then me and my mate went back to MGS on PS1 haha.

I remember thinking though that Marvel vs Capcom 2 was the best looking game ever and wanted it more than anything. I never understood why there weren't more fantastic looking 2d sprite games instead of shoddy 3d graphics in everything. Even today, something like Muramasa: Demon Blade looks far better than any other wii game.

9. The RAM

The RAM New Member

I think I was almost kicked out of the store that had one of these on display. Had been playing it too long! :D

10. chimaera

chimaera New Member

I picked up my first Dreamcast when it was near End of Life about 7-8 years ago - the hardware price dropped hard to an even £100 (including a game too). Fantastic machine, ended up buying another about four years ago on ebay after the first one died. Some absolute classic games in its history.

As an impoverished student the lack of copy protection was nice, although I did make an effort to buy the games I really liked like Soul Calibur and Virtua Tennis.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I loved Quake 3 arena on the DC. Would have thought you guys would have liked it too, especially since you could use a DC Keyboard and mouse (and I know how you guys prefer K/M for fps games), ok it limits you to 2 (local) players since the keyboard and mouse will take a joypad port each, but still for single player it was ace.

Still got a load of games for mine, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Chu Chu Rocket (which Sega gave away free for regestering your console if I remember correctly).

edit: Soul Calibur on the XBLA is no substitute for the original DC version (unlocks are already unlocked, and a lot of the content has been cut)

12. Tyrmot

Tyrmot New Member

Wot, no Jet Set Radio or Shenmue?

Surely two of the most innovative games for the Dreamcast, if not any console ever! And then there was Phantasy Star Online - one of the original MMOs... And as Blademrk says, Power Stone was unbelievably fun as well! Why aren't these franchises getting revived for this generation one wonders...

A real shame it didn't last the race, I'd love to have seen Sega stay in the hardware game. Ah well, RIP DC

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Agreed, I am suprised this wasn't picked up on in the review. I loved Quake 3 Arena on the DC and got quite good indeed (railgun sniping whilst in mid air Cheesecake!).

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

God... The graphics look amazing for 10 years old....

**stares at PS2 that doesn't even work anymore**

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Fantastic console. IIRC, it had native AA, which even most new consoles can't manage. I'm glad you included Code Veronica, it's easilly one of the best of the Res Evil series and a true forgotten classic. The Ashford twins were genuinely scary (and one cross dressed!).

Wasn't Shenmue originally designed as a 10 game epic? When they didn't produce an english dubbed version of number two you kind of knew it was all over. Shame it never really got out of the starting blocks, no. one was a truley classic RPG. I kind of want to go buy one again now just to relive the truley awesome Crazy Taxi sound track.

16. blood69

blood69 New Member

I had mine in the 1st Christmas after the release, i had 13 years old.
    I remember to spot 2 or 3 weeks before the 25 of December a Box under the Tree. Every day i had to undo the box paper, play the game demos and put it all together before my mom went home.
    The games i played most was Sonic Adventures, Soul Caliber, Tokyo Highway Challenge, Sega GT, Metropolis Street Racer, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Quake 3, Dead or Alive, Incoming and many more that i can't remember right now.
    Unfortunately i contribute to the death of the Dreamcast when i broth a CD-RW to my computer.
    Casualty i play old Dreamcast games using an emulator and 360 game pad, but its not the same thing.
    I literally play until destruction, i remember like today, i was playing Sonic Adventures 2 with Shadow at a vertiginous speed (lol) and the screen went black. I restart the console and nothing, it was like payback for coping its games.

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Happy Birthday Dreamcast! Part of my childhood i'll always look fondly upon!

Metropolis Street racer! What a GAME! Jet set radio as said above and i still remember crazy taxi while demolishing Super noodles!

NFL Blitz was so good for multiplayer with your mates, i'm not an NFL fan but that was the most entertaining American Football game ever! Late, late tackles! Argh, i think he broke my leg!

18. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Had mine right up until PS3 launch week when I finally decided to trade it in, dreamcast, 2 controllers, 4 mem cards, DC Blaze VGA box, 13-16 games (can't remember) including light gun and all I got was a sixaxis and resistance. :(

19. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

This is why I love Bit-Tech, the DC was an awesome console and remember drooling when I first read rumors of it. Reading this article has sent me on an eBay rampage and you can pick them up for dirt cheap now, some Crazy Taxi action may be needed again

20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Well-Known Member

Still have mine

Tags: Add Tags