1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Remembering the Sega Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Sep 2009.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I had my Dreamcast for Christmas and spent most of the day on the Internet with it trying to setup the email. Sonic Adventure and both Shenmues, along with Soul Calibur made it for me. All 3 still look great by today's standards. I'm tempted to fetch it from the loft after reading this article.

2. vinfromuk

vinfromuk What's a Dremel?

Still got mine but the optical drive has clapped out and half the buttons on the controller are unresponsive. Looked into emulation but it still seems a bit patchy, especially on Linux (I'd want to run it on my media box).

AJPW Giant Gram 2000 was the best wrestling game ever made, IMHO. The engine is still unsurpassed by any fighting game I've played since.

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Power Stone, Ikaruga....

Come on bit-tech.

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Well what a console still got it in my wardrobe with my Mega Drive

Got to say Jet-Set Radio great game and Powerstone 2 was epic especially if you got some mates around.

Plus can I just say you've never played Crazy Taxi until you've played it using the Sega Bass Fishing controller.

Oh Sonic Adventure as well best 3D Sonic game by a country mile.

Plus some of the RPG's released were great, amazing what the machine did as well considering alot of the launch games looked better than stuff on the PS2 3 years after it was released, never mind the later titles off the Dreamcast.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"7m polygons per second".

Thats just plain wrong.........

It was actually 1.5m as a 'theoretical maximum, but was closer to 1m a second in real game world scenarios.

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Mine is still under my big TV in the living room! Haven't played it much in the last year tho.

It came in useful when my PC broke and I had to wait for a new PSU to be sent out about a year and a half ago!

I'm surprised you didn't add a few more games into your playtest.

7. Jeyp

Jeyp almost not a noob

I won't ever forget this console...It was my first time xD... Crazy Taxi and sonic 2 rule!!!
    It is certainly one of greates consoles ever but unfortunately it hadn't the deserved recognition.

8. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

believe it or not. I didn't know the dreamcast existed till around 2005 O____o

when it came out i was only 8 and i wasnt that into games, but as soon as i found out about it i bought one from game station for £15 best £15 ive ever spent :D

can someone tell me the draw too shenmue please. I have it and i am playing it but im finding it incredibly slow paced and a tad dull. although saying that i still feel compelled to finish it.

9. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Shenmue, ahh what a great game. At first I didn't like it all that much but after playing it a lot more, I enjoyed it. I love wandering around this 80s Japan which feels so real (for a game). It's all the little interactions you can do which are really cool and make the game feel a lot more open that it actually is. The fighting bits are a bit rubbish (mash a button when it tells you to.. pah) but the storyline is great and the graphics were superb at the time.

10. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

God, I got this a few weeks after it came out. Traded my N64 for the Dreamcast, and I have no regrets. Power Stone? Power Stone 2? Sonic Adventure? And the second one? Crazy Taxi 1 and 2? And the Bleemcast! CD, that was the stuff. MGS, quite a game that was.

I had 6 VMUs, 2 non-LCD memory cards, 4 controllers, a Dreamcast I chipped when I was 11 with that being my introduction to computers and electronics, and basically pirated the complete collection of Dreamcat games when it went down under. Miraculously, some of those burnt CDs even still work.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The whole draw with shenmue is the fact that it engulfs you in a believable world where you get the impression that you are really there following the story as if it were your own. It does something that alot of more modern rpgs / adventure games completey fail at, immersion into a believable living world.

I watched a few youtube videos of Shenmue last night and was amazed at how well it has held up given the relatively weak DC hardware.

I may just have to look around for a used DC now having watched those videos, the mrs won't be pleased.

12. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I have touted this avatar since I joined bit tech in 2004. THE DAY IS MINE TREBEK!!!

13. centy

centy DFI Nutter

I think you are being unfair to Quake 3. At the time it provided a similar experience to a fairly high spec PC. In a box not much bigger than the GD rom drive itself. Have you been trying to play with a control pad? I didn't find it as much fun without the keyboard and mouse but as my friend james will tell you, it's definately possible to win using a pad lol. He beat me several times and I had been a quake 3 player since mp_testdemo

14. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Shenmue you crazy people!! Shenmue was amazing.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Sniff....I miss my dreamcast! Other greats: Vitua Tennis, Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Power Stone and Ready2Rumble boxing! This really was a console ahead of it's time in terms of features and totally underrated.

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I never owned a Dreamcast but I remember seeing NFL 2K and that made me hang up Madden for 1 and 2 made me seriously think twice about not buying a PS2. Dreamcast was and still is AWESOME. If it had a DVD player i would of bought one over the PS2. Capcom VS. SNK is awsome on the Dreamcast emulator. Sega Should re-release the Dreamcast but seriously beef it up and release it not as a mass market deal but as a special order type thing. I would buy one.

17. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Valve ported Half-Life to Dreamcast but the game never saw the light of day except leaked copies.
    I believe it used Windows CE to simplify the port.

Also Linux runs on it (of course): http://linuxdc.sourceforge.net/

Last edited: 1 Oct 2009
  18. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i bought a keyboard ready for the release of half life only for it to get scrapped, still a great console sadly underated

19. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I loved my Dreamcast, but ended up trading it in for PS2.

Shenmue was fantastic and one of the only games my non gaming sister ever played. Although i didn't complete it due to failing to remember to save about 4 hours worth of play and had to restart over, it killed it for me :S

Phantasy Star Online was really good. My 1st taste of an online RPG and I loved every 2nd of it. I've tried to recreate some of that magic with later versions of Phantasy Star (Gamecube and PC versions) both failed.

Power Stone was a mint party game that anybody could pick up and have fun with.

And +1 to the person that said the Dreamcast was his first taste of FHM online, oh those were the days :)

20. dushuai

dushuai What's a Dremel?

the crazy taxi is very cool,I played day and night,the speed and block and awesome jump and turnover,everything is open my passion.

Tags: Add Tags