1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Reminder Programs... with a twist

Discussion in 'Software' started by aLtikal, 8 May 2010.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Hellooooooooo!:D

Most of us are poor at remembering everything in out busy busy lifestyles *cough*, so we tend to use calenders/software/to-do lists to keep on top of things.

This is the problem...:duh:

There isnt (that ive found) any programs that let u set multiple "due-dates/deadlines" that land on different days. For example, outlook can set "recurrances" to happen once a week on a friday for 3 weeks.
    As do loads of other programs....:wallbash:

What i NEED, is a program that will let me set a reminder...
    • On the day
    • One day after
    • One week after
    • One month after
    • 3/6 months after

Anyone know of any?:worried:

Thankyou ^_^

(Yes...ive GOOGLED!)

Allan

Last edited: 8 May 2010
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

why not set multiples of the same event.. copy and paste with new times for the alert

3. aLtikal

Because every day i have lectures (aanbout 5 a day approx) d I'd need to set an appointment for each of those, then 1 week later i'd have to set another individual reminde....and a month later...and 3/6months later...for every single lecture i have.

Unrealisticly time consuming lol:duh:

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You mean like the recurrence option in Outlook?

5. haddow64

haddow64 New Member

^^+1

Yes your talking about the recurrence option, set up the inital lecture then set the recurrence option for every week (I assume you have the same schedule week to week) and then set the end date to the end of term and that works.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Thunderbird -> Lightning plugin and link it to Google Calendar.

now you have reminder that you can access anywhere, when on your computer, Thunderbird will remind you of lecture events.

google calendar can also be synced to your smart phone. i use it extensively on my iphone along with Lightning plugin.

7. aLtikal

Im very aware of the recurrence option, but I dont want a reminder every week. I need it at the outlined periods stated in the initial post (1day after,1week after,1month,3month) The recurrance option doesnt let me do this.

Yes but as explained above, it doesnt have the correct functionality i need. And i cant find anything that does.

Ill elaborate on my intial point.

I have ridiculasly poor memory. So to remember what goes on in my lectures, and be able to commit what I've learnt to long term memory, i HAVE to run through my written lecture notes at the spesified time intervals after a lecture (or ill forget them xD )
    its easy to remember to read your notes the day after a lecture, but i dont have a timetable that is "the same every week"...It chops and changes alot.

@wuyanxu
    I looked at google calender but it doesnt remind me AFTER the set appointment date, it can only remind me (as many times as i like) BEFORE the lecture. How would using Thunderbird fix this? Can you elaborate on it please?

Thanks for help everyone. ^_^

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

not sure what you study, i often fall asleep during lectures and just revise a few days before the exams, still doing pretty well and playing pretty hard.

looks like you don't need a calendar program, my Thunderbird Lightning post is in reply to Outlook suggestions, since your tag is Open Source software.

you need a memory assist kind of program, i saw this on lifehacker, worth a try?
    http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

thehippoz and aLtikal like this.
  9. JohnDribble

JohnDribble New Member

Have you had a look at the Task Scheduler built into Windows Vista/7? I think it can do exactly what you want and when a reminder is due you can have a message pop up in a message box, play a sound or open a text file with more detailed information. Nothing will make it quick and easy like you seem to want though. Perhaps you should invest in a large whiteboard and pocket sized notepad.

10. aLtikal

I use rememberthemilk :) Doesnt have the functionality i need but its good none-the-less.

Big thanks to wuyanxu, Lightning plugin has exactly what i want :) THANKYOU ^_^

[/Thread]