1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows "remote access connection manager" and slow startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by sirkowski, 12 Sep 2004.

1. sirkowski

sirkowski What's a Dremel?

Here's the quick backstory.

My computer used to be in working order right after the Welcome screen. But then one day, after I had made NO change (no new programs or anything), it started to take 1:30 minutes before I can open a program after the Welcome screen (the Windows start song only plays after the 1:30 minute). Once the computer is in full working mode, everything works mighty fine (WinXP has never crashed once in a year).

Norton as always been installed and so if the Zone Alarm firewall. I ran three spyware removal tools. There is no virus, no spyware.

Today I finally decide to do troubleshooting with MSconfig and finally found where the bug is, in the Service tab of MSConfig

---- remote access connection manager ----

When it's disabled, everything works fine right away after the Welcome screen, just like when it was new. But of course, without "remote access connection manager", I can't access the Internet (on DSL). I searched the Microsoft website to no avail (that's no surprise).

Any ideas?

2. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

3. sirkowski

sirkowski What's a Dremel?

mmh, close enough.

But bugger! :duh: My IPS doesn't want to give me a static IP. Which means I would need a router.

Tags: