1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Remote control pc with tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kode, 17 Jul 2008.

1. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

Anyone know of any decent software i could use to remotely control a pc with a tablet, basically what i want to do is be able to connect to the pc, view a list of media, catalogued some way, select one, click play and it play on the pc, seperately to the pc, so while its playing i can browse through the list, which means something like logmein, or pcanywhere, or vnc would be no good, any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

2. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

PalmOrb?

3. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Maxivista, allows you to make a networked pc (the tables in this case) an extended screen of another PC ( HTPC in this case). I think there is a free demo that you can get to see if it will work for you.

Moriquendi

4. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

Had a look, doesnt look right for what i need though :(

5. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

This actually looks quite promising :)

6. Moriquendi

Quick tip, just so nobody accuses you of trying to increase your post count artificially, there's an edit button at the bottom right of every one of your posts, if you forget to put something in or want to change something use the edit button. You can also quote two different people by copying the text and putting quote tags round it.

Moriquendi

7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Depends on your 'tablet', but if it's a WinMo device you might be able to get Windows Sideshow on it and control media through that.

8. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

its a compaq tc1100

Edit: Moriquendi, is there a specific reason why i would want to artificially increase my post count? Do i get cookies? ;D

Edit2: I used the edit button as well :p Im just trying the trial version of that maxivista, im having issues atm though, it doesnt like it when u have WDDM on or something

9. Moriquendi

There are a few reason why people try to increase their post count, one is to get access to the for sale section. Apart from that its often regarded as bad manners, which is why I told you.

Moriquendi

10. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

Wel thanks, i'll bear? bare? whichever, in mind for the future, that maxivista looks like it would have been pretty perfect, unfortunately its not going to work because of WDDM on vista, lol. Any other suggestions?

11. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

After a fair bit of research it looks like id have to use something like Girder or Netremote http://www.promixis.com/products.php?section=netremote both are by promixis, has anyone used these? i tried installing Netremote but the mediacentre skin didnt seem to work very well with DVD profiler =/ any suggestions?

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Something that's maybe worth trying is simply using remote desktop!

In the options before you connect, you can instruct Remote Desktop to leave audio at the remote computer, so loading something like WinAmp on the remote computer and clicking "play" will play on the remote computer not the tablet. You can also tell it not to load any visual themes so it will be faster when logged in. You can then continue to browse the playlist/media library on the tablet as normal...

I have used this exact method before and it worked quite well for me...

Of course, this is dependent on the remote PC and the tablet PC both running Windows XP/Vista...

13. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

Hmm, that sounds interesting, but would that not only work for audio? so say a movie is playing and i want to look through the list, that wouldnt work would it?

Edit: PC and Laptop both running Vista Home Premium

Edit2: I might look at running a webbrowser on the PC, using a PHP cataloguing script, and editing it so u can put the location of the file, and somehow get it to play, though im not really sure how i would go about triggering a media player to start on the remote pc by clicking a link on the tablet

Last edited: 22 Jul 2008
  14. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I'm not sure about video, it might try and play the video on the tablet but audio on the main PC... In fact it probably would try and do that... hmm...:wallbash:

It'd still work for audio...:worried:

15. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

hehe, annoyingly there are lots of options to remote play audio, not so many for video =/

16. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

17. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

This one is only available for nokia devices that run on a linux OS, so unlikely to ever be ported to windows
    I looked at this one, i cant remember off the top of my head why i rejected this one, i think it was because it was overly complicated without doing quite what i wanted
    I looked at this one before, i think at the time i was being overly optimistic with what i wanted, might be worth revisiting this, what id ideally like is to be able to browse a list of films and click play on one of them
    I dont think you can download this "To get Nevo, you must purchase a device that is
    enhanced with Nevo." plus it only seems to be for PDA's
    This one is mirage that i mentioned in the post, functionality wise this is about perfect, but it looks a bit spazzy, and is $200
    For what i want Girder is actually closer than netremote
    This one streams to the laptop

18. lsochia

lsochia What's a Dremel?

Sort of works this way

I currently have a program that will send the media center commands, if you have SageTV and SageTV web GUI setup then you can input this information into my remote control software it will bring the web GUI up so you can browse the TV guide listings on the tablet and click play from the Tablet PC. If you do not have SageTV then you could only use this for a basic Remote Control to your media center PC. It has full functionality with SageTV and limited functionality with other media center software. You can read more about it and see some screen shots here: http://www.sochia.com/projects.html

Tags: