1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Removal of ASUS SmartDoctor, GamerOSD + EIO.dll problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Gulliver, 6 Apr 2010.

1. Gulliver

Gulliver Virtutem petamus

Hope somebody can help - a web search hasn't come up with much.

Like Zabuza (Windows thread, January 2010 - Cannot load EIO.DLL).....and lots of others....
    ..... I'm also having problems with the error 'can not load EIO.dll', but in addition, I cannot uninstall/remove ASUS SmartDoctor (and ASUS GamerOSD) which come with the EAH3450 card.

After installing this software from the original ASUS disc, I found later versions (5.54 and 3.07.0210 rspy) on the ASUS website and installed them - together with the latest Display Driver, as ASUS advises - but soon afterwards started getting assorted error messages.
    So I tried to uninstall both programs.

Trying to do this by installing them on top of their 'broken' originals and then uninstalling them didn't work. Along the way, I did some registry cleaning with CCleaner. At one point BSDs started happening.

Next I tried by using 'Uninstall or change a Program' (Add or Remove Programs) which didn't work for ASUS GamerOSD - I got a RunDLL error message to the effect that 'The specified module (Ctor.dll) could not be found' - and ASUS SmartDoctor doesn't appear in the list at all, which suggests it's not installed properly.

On booting up I get the horizontal, rotating 'Barber's Pole' indicating that SmartDoctor is starting to load but this is immediately followed by the EIO.dll error message. I have also been presented with two of these poles and the message that ASUS Smart Doctor is already running !

I'm sure I don't have any viruses or other malware, and in all other respects my newly built PC seems to be working OK. I'm not running any of my MSI board's tweaking tools so I can't see this as a source of conflict either.
    Device Manager shows my Display Driver (8.702.0.0, dated 02/02/10) and the ASUS Kernel Mode Enhanced Driver (7.14.10.303, dated 27/9/2007) are working normally.

Using msconfig.exe - Selective startup - with these two programs deselected, I can confirm that my problems relate to this ASUS software and to SmartDoctor in particular. However I want rid of both of them so I can have a Normal startup.

I don't want to do a complete reinstallation of Windows7 and my System Restore points don't go back far enough to use this method (the earlier ones have disappeared probably because the default 1% of disc space was too low - I've now set it at 5%). I can restore to before the BSDs but not before the EIO.dll problem.

What 'dirty' uninstallation/removal method can I now safely use?

For example, if I deleted the ASUS directories containing these programs, searched for any other ASUS/SmartDoctor/GamerOSD named files and deleted these as well and then cleaned up the registry with say CCleaner, would this be enough - or should anything further be removed.
    And should I do all this in Safe Mode?

Many thanks (with fingers crossed)

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

depends on where you downloaded these newer versions.. you should get them from the asus site if possible- try to reinstall them from there

http://support.asus.com/download/

3. Gulliver

Thanks thehippoz......
    ..... yes, I downloaded the newer versions from the ASUS site and then installed them.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

5. Gulliver

Thanks again, have been to your link but missed the last bit you've quoted.
    Will try it, but if I'm running W7 (64bit) surely enabling EIO_XP is not appropriate.
    Or should I be running SmartDoctor in XP mode?
    Not that I want to run it anyway - I want it off my system.

6. Gulliver