1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Removing RAMSinks

Discussion in 'Modding' started by K, 21 Dec 2001.

1. K

K 528491

I've got to do mine soon and have been contemplating whether makin it brittle by leavin the card in the freezer would be as effective as gettin the card up to a high temp of say 100°C - ish but how would you know the melting point of the epoxy? I'm sure it's less than solder which is 178°C right? So that's a fair bit °C to play with surely? Plus when the final stage of SMT is applied the board usually goes through the oven at about 270°C at the highest point (then has cooling stages etc). But then I thought there are other components on the board which are manual insertion and I don't think are put under such high temperatures as when the board goes through an oven... But then I remembered they do go through an oven straight after manual insertion but I have NO idea what temps this process goes through... I could check these temps at work but I don't get back there for another week or so now, holidays! :D

So to put it simply! lol

Anyone reckon this is worth tryin out??

2. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i would be quite cautious about doing something like that - there is a strong possibilty of it going wrong but then again i'm pessimistic so i'll verge on the sensible :p and say freezer

but then again it might work and it might be a better method that ppl haven't tried before

in otherwords:
    if you can afford to try it and think its sensible - do it and tell us ;)

but then again... i wouldn't :rolleyes:

3. K

K 528491

I dunno... I spose it's a good excuse to go buy a Ti500 if all went wrong, but I really can't see how it'd kill anythin apart from the back plate stuff maybe. It may be worth a try, I can just see my clumsy self breaking my card using the freezer method ya see, I'd rather just slide the sinks off :D

4. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

I'd just like to remind you.

The whole point of the heatsink is to prevent the little gray thing underneath it getting too hot.

If you're heating up the sink, you're also heating up this magical gray thing underneath.

5. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

seal the think in a zip lock baggy and throw it in the freezer......itll pop right off.......

6. firewars

firewars What's a Dremel?

Anti static bag , into freezer for 20 minutes and then pop it off twisting the heatsink with force.

7. K

K 528491

Lol, did you not read the first post? That BGA Device can take 176°C minium!!! That's when it goes through the reflow oven to melt the solder paste. I'm not sayin it'll operate at this temperature, but it won't kill it, it's the other stuff that (hand placed stuff) that may be at risk. Trust me, I'm a surface mount engineer ;)

This was mainly just a thought, I wasn't askin ppl how to tell me the freezer method I already know it, lol :p

8. macroman

macroman The One

You could try just heating the HS with a soldering iron or small torch. ;)

9. K

K 528491

Hmmmm that'd work as well wouldn't it Macro? I always think on a larger scale for some reason, must be my stupid jeans... err genes... errr gene......... Yeah........ :D

10. macroman

macroman The One