1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Repairing Damaged Tracks?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fatboy, 8 Dec 2003.

1. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

I got this mobo, and it has a damaged track that connects the ATX pin 14 and the 'winbond' chip. This mobo wont power on so im guessing htis is the problem. How would i go about repairing the track, ive tested it with a multimeter, and its definately borked.
    Its on the outside edge of the mobo, however its v close to another track which may couse problems. Any ideas :waah:

2. RascalRusty

RascalRusty What's a Dremel?

I maybe wrong here as Im a noob, but Im sure Mobos are covered with a protective layer. So if you scratch off the layer on just that track (the broken one) then hopefully when you solder it back together no solder will stick to the other track (s)

Im probably wrong there

3. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

rails are really hard to solder together, they tend to oxadise quickly. i suggest soldering a wire on the winbound chip's leg and to the pin on the ATX socket, in a sort of piggy back style like when you "chip" a PS2 or somthing.

4. tommarndt

tommarndt What's a Dremel?

If you replaced the tracks/ rails, whatever they are called, with wire, will it run any slower? Does the current move slower through the wire than the rails?

5. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

It will not make the current slower and shoud not provide any more resistance than the original track im hoping. its just trying to solder that small with my lack of skill.

6. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Virtually impossible, i gave it a go today. Soldering to 0.1mm wide stuff with scholl soldering irons :(. I dropped a blob of solder onto the mobo damnit.
    Got another plan though, my dads colleauge is a process engineer in a cement works and does this kind of stuff all the time and is also in to computers, so im hoping he can do it.

7. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

current doesn't flow any slower when a wire or track has more resistance, electrons flow at a steady rate unless accelerated across a vacuum or with large electromagnets.

8. Kookalamans

Kookalamans What's a Dremel?

This can be done, you can buy rolls of copper track, which is quite thin (normal track thickness such as 1mm), but can be cut to the desired width with a scalpel. When you have it the correct width, hold it down (and extra pair of hands comes in handy), and tin it with your iron. Just put a small amount of solder on the iron tip and dab a few times onto the prepared track until you see the solder flow across the surface. Place it on the damaged area, hold part of it down with tweezers, and quickly dab the iron on the other part. Because it's so thin and small it should stick quickly (a couple of seconds or so). Make sure that you cover the whole break. You'll probably have to remove laquer first as RascalRusty has already said there are solvents you can buy for this (look in Maplin). Also, be carefull of overheating the mobo, as other tracks will start to lift :nono:.

9. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Why not use track repair paint? The pens are arse but the little bottles of paint combined with a fine paintbrush work great...

10. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i know i coudn't do it i shake when im working with something that small

11. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

The tracks are way too small for me to be able to do anything, htey must be 0.2mm or even smaller, plus its next to the gorund loop on the outside, which is ghey.

12. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

you can get it repaired properly but it might require very special tools to lay the new track properly. the only person i know who is capable of doing this kind of thing properly is the instructor at the ESA soldering school.

failing being able to re-lay the track properly id go with the solder a wire to a pin on the chip and pin 14 of the psu.

the chip is probably screwed tho because the ammount of current required to fry a track is usually a lot less than the current to fry a chip so the chances are its broked

if im right pin 14 is the power on bit of the psu so u might be able to start up the pc by shorting pins 13 and 14 on the psu to bypass the motherboard power switch. . . . but i dont know if the motherboard would like this as ive never got the guts up to try it.

Pies

ps. the silver paint might work but ive never used the stuff and the current might be too much for it so it would just burn out all over again. also if the paint dribbled . . . :-/

EDIT: if its really close to the edge i really wouldnt try the paint in case it shorted 2 planes in the board or something

13. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

The track got scraped through so it not been over-currented :D .
    The winbond chip has REALLY small legs, so i dont want to try soldering to that. the track next to the damaged one has been scraped but it isnt cut, just the lacquer.
    I COULD wire up the pwr on button to connect the PS_ON (pin 14) and a ground, but the mobo MIGHT not function correctly.

14. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

if its just a tiny cut id give the paint a shot or mebe even some AS silver based thermal epoxy if i was feeling dareing but i dont know if it will work

15. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

But isn't the point of AS that it isn't electrically conductive? And it isn't exactly paint consistency. I'd give the silver paint a go, as long as you have a steady hand and a good eye that is...

16. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Youre all forgetting there is a dirty great blob of solder on the mobo now, i have to get that off. :wallbash:

17. Kookalamans

Kookalamans What's a Dremel?

Get a solder sucker. Really easy to use. its like a pen with a piston that locks in place. The piston is sprung loaded and operates with a push of a button. When it does, it sucks the solder up quickly. Obviously you need to heat the excess solder while operating the pump.

18. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Tried that, but failed and half melted an ISA slot.
    Ive sent it off with my dad so the process engineer can try and sort it out. Lets hope.

19. Wndrbread

Wndrbread What's a Dremel?

Repairing tracks is possible just have some very very fine tips avalible, some soldering flux, and a great solderer (eh, Not a grammer buff) and cover the track with something no conductive, If you use something conductive then *POOF*

Ohh yeah, Use regular multistrand wire and pull out a single strand, Just one, or else itl be too big and it will go onto other tracks

-Later
    -Wndrbread