1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Replacement Cherry MX Switchs (red).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 20 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What, chatter? Since moving away from my beloved IBM Model F with its buckling springs, I've used Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Blacks in anger - and I haven't had a single repeated keystroke across four keyboards (Filco Majestouch, Ducky something-or-other Cheese-'n-Chive Edition, a Noopoo tenkeyless I bought on the forums 'ere, and my Maltron daily driver) - and we're talking tens of thousands of keystrokes a day.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've never experienced chatter with any of my keyboards either, and I've had a dozen or more, including a Corsair K65 RGB.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I've never had chatter on any of my keyboard - except an LZ-GH and that WAS a firmware issue, as they released a version of the firmware with a debounce you could set yourself and it solved the issue.

but with cherry-mx switches, I've never experienced it naturally, where it's not been definitely firmware. oh and I once bent a leaf spring and thought I could get away with bending it back, that sswitch was chattery so I swapped it.

I disagree it's a general problem with mechanical switches, but I agree it could happen due to poor QA over batches of switches.

I have some swtiches that have been used to within an inch of their lives, off mechs from industrial backgrounds - none of them chatter, so it can't be a problem with switches aging. Has to be either poor QA or someone messing with the switch.

All completely anecdotal as well :D

Gareth is your daily actually a maltron? You're such a cool guy! becomes more apparent every day.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Should have added that, while googling for my own issues with my K70 I came across multiple people saying chatter is fairly common on cherry switches. Though I appreciate this will be obviously be coming up because I am specifically searching for things about chatter.

As for it being the nature of a mechanical switch, from the elite keyboards website

Kinda makes sense to my non-mechanical or electrically minded mind, doesn't mean it's right though :hehe:

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Perhaps you could explain it to me as it is meaningless. Lol.
    It is a major issue with these particular keyboards and one that Corsair recognising as an issue not that they gave done much about it.
    Did you find the registry hack as I might try that?

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

This right is here is why this is by far the best community on the t'inerwebs.

7. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

I would happily do it if I am closer to you than Margo (I am in Nottingham usually, but can do London also)

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks guys. I will need to ascertain which keys are involved but would like to get it sorted though I do appreciate the postage issue and as I am in Edinburgh I doubt cost will be different.

I will get the keyboard set up tomorrow and test all the keys and then make a decision.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

+1

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It is indeed! QWERTY layout, though, 'cos I'm not 1337 enough for Dvorak or Malton's custom.

EDIT: Here's a better shot, from back when my desk was clean and tidy.

[​IMG]

It'd be a much nicer keyboard with better PBT caps (fat chance of that without having a one-off custom set made) and Blues or Greens instead of Blacks, but it does the job.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
  11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I preferred it when it was dirty - as I was looking at it last night at home, and my GF walked behind me and said "That looks like your desk".

Super nice board there :)

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Soorrry forr the delay, a bit oof mmann fluu, I am typing this on tthe K70 annd althoouugh some leetttters annd nnuumbers aree more proone to doouble lettters, otther letterrs will doo it.

The worst offenders are U. O. T. E. But to be honest I do not think I can be bothered to see if it repairable as I do not really like the board, lighting not particularly bright, which I prefer and generally the KB is to black and on checking whether I can replace keycaps I see yet again that for reasons unknown the bottom row seems to differ in size from all the replacements I have.

13. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

My desk is always messy. The worst part is my desk goes the whole way around the room (5 1.2 meter desks!) and all of them are messy :D

yeah, Corsair don't have a standard bottom row which is a PITA for those who want to chance things around.