1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Replacement for GTX660

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 19 Oct 2016.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Looking to replace my GTX 660, its getting old, and its not happy with running Forza Horizon 3 on anything but low settings. This is being run on a 32 inch TV at 720 (1366 x 768) resolution.

Am looking to buy used and can possibly push to £120.

Likely candidates would be a GTX 970, but is there any AMD variant that might be worth considering ?

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I can't recommend anything specifically but with Nvidia recently announcing the new 1050 & 1050Ti cards, I'd wait and see what impact they have on the value of existing cards (new & used) before making a decision.

3. Behemoth

Thats good news then any saving so much the better for me.

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

depending what prices do ala 1050, I would say a Gtx 780ti might be a good bet

I've just gone from a gtx 580 to a 780 classified and notice a huge difference in mafia 3, going from 720p to 1080p and cracking up alot of details

5. Behemoth

Does the 780 Ti come with 4 gig ?

Since getting my 660 some 3 years ago I hadn't really looked at modern graphics card till last night when Horizon 3 said my system is to low spec for it ! First time ever has a game said that.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The Ti and 780 are quite power hungry.

I would wait for the 1050ti. My reasoning is this. The 1060 is around 5-10% faster than the 970. The 970 is around 5-10% faster than the 780. Thus, by pretty much no sense whatsoever I deduce that the 1050ti could end up peforming right around the same as a 780 but will use maybe half the power, if that. It will probably also produce around half the amount of heat.

Another thing is, pretty much any 780 or 780ti will not have any warranty left on it whatsoever, either. Maybe a second hand 970 would, dependent on when it was first purchased, but yeah, short warranty on a part most likely to fail.

And then there was the Witcher 3 Kepler debacle. I think it has happened since, too. Plus 3gb of VRAM is barely enough for 1080p (hence the somewhat cool reviews for the 3gb 1060 when it could have been a show stopper) give it six months and you won't have enough.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2016
  7. Behemoth

I have no shortage of power, 750 Watt supply and my case (Corsair Carbide Air 240) is quite well ventilated so I have no issues there on that score.

Warranty really doesn't bother me on a used card, they don't always transfer over and I have never been burned when buying a used card from people on forums, where as I have been when buying new cards from retailers.

Still wondering if there is an AMD option worth considering as the board I'm using Asrock 970M Pro 3 will support Crossfire and thats something I've never played with before. Signature of out of date since I move house 3 months ago.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

780Ti has 3GB of vram and as Valut-Tec says it's a real power hog, but it's unlikely to be in your budget anyways. Much like you, I've never really bothered about warranty on graphics cards as I've never had one fail but it's nice to have warranty if you can get it, which is a good reason to buy EVGA because the warranty stays with the card and not the original buyer.

I think you'd notice a jump in performance going to a 960 which you should easily find within budget, but a 970 would give you extra headroom.

AMD equivalent to the 960/970 would be R9 290 or 290x.

9. Vault-Tec

Crossfire is dead. As is SLi, to an extent. To that ends it doesn't really matter if your board supports CFX or SLi, as moving into the future it will be EMA and IMA which IIRC doesn't need any handshakes from the hardware.

Right now though? yeah, they're both pretty much dead. Something released recently got a patch (can't remember it now though brain fart) and used DX12 MGPU. Problem is it also brought on flickering, juddering etc. I would not use more than one GPU now if they were handed to me for free (well, unless I were folding).

As such if you are looking to buy another later then I would recommend the 480 8gb, even though Crossfire X is dead. It's highly likely to work better with another one in the future, because AMD are going to be bringing out cards that contain more than one core. I too forget what they called it now (another brain fart, coffee has not reached the bits it needs to yet) and once they do that pretty much every console game will support it at a hardware level so in theory that should pass down to the PC.

TBH though fella any of the GPUs being talked about will be quite the upgrade.

Ed. The AMD bit.. Navi. And they call it "Scaleable" meaning it will probably contain two smaller cores.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It'll be interesting to see how the 1050/1050ti cards actually perform in games when compared to a 780.

Obviously having 4GB will be an advantage but the 1050ti has significantly lower memory bandwidth (112 MB/s) and texture fill rate (62 gigatexels/s) specs than even a plain non-ti 780 (288MB/s and 160 gigtexels/s respectively). So, while the 1050ti might have a big boot, does it have the muscles to swing it? :D

Last edited: 20 Oct 2016
  11. Behemoth

I am really looking for a 960 but would prefer a 970 should I find one at the right price. Sort of discounted AMD cards now as I remember now how much hassle I had with a 6850 6 years ago.

12. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Modder

I'm looking to upgrade my 660 as well so also interested to see what the 1050 and Ti are like. I'm hoping for a plentiful supply of itx versions for these as well.

13. Vault-Tec

Crimson is excellent. Not had any problems at all with a single Fury X, other than running out of VRAM @ 4k and 1440p.

The Radeons do run hotter though, that much is true. I think I would go 1050ti if I were budget conscious. It's AMD that have brought the budget Nvids into line. Otherwise they would have cost a small fortune, like the high end stuff.

Also hoping that 4gb means 4gb on the 1050ti. If it does? it's highly likely I will get one to replace my 950 if I get on with Linux and Steam. Hoping really that MSI make one the same as my 950, then I won't have to spend an entire day making a new back plate :D

14. Behemoth

I've not got any 1440p capable displays so I don't think thats going to be problem for me.

My life has changed so much in the last 3 months this is really the first time I've put any proper time into my hobby, and it has to be said it's nice to be tinkering again and not be nagged about doing so.

15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

1060 3GB are around the 170-180 mark, thats what I was going to do had I not got a 480 as a RMA.

16. Behemoth

I'd really like to spend that and get something like that, but been told that we are being made redundent in March so thats why I'm looking at a used card rather than buying new.