1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Replacement pump

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delphium, 4 May 2011.

1. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hey folks, so my Alphacool AP1510 pump recently started to leak due to a hairline fracture on the output.

As such I am looking at a replacement pump, the pump I have been looking at is the MCP355 Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1Plus 18w.

Will this pump be a suitable replacement for the AP1510 considering that the mcp355 has only a 4.7m head and 600l/h flow, compared to the 6m head and 1500l/h for the ap1510?
    I beleive the ap1510 is a bit of a beast of a pump, and perhaps is/has been overkill for my rig?

I am using a fairly simple loop consisting of...

res > pump > cpu > rad120 > gpu > rad240 > res

res = Alphacool Repack-cooling slot Black Reserves and Compensating Reservoir
    cpu = EK-Supreme HF Full Copper Universal CPU Block AMD,Intel
    gpu = EK FC5870 5870 CF, Plexi, Full Cover Block

The radiators are a bit old and I have no idea what make or model they are.

As I tend to overclock my pc, am I likely to experience toomuch of a cooling performance drop if I used the MCP355?
    I am a little worried that being used to a beast of a pump that I may need to tweak down my overclock to match the temps I was getting previously.

Please let me know your thoughts gents, your comments as always are appreciated.
    Cheers, Delph.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'll be very surprised if you get a dramatic drop in performance. Dropping my D5 from the highest speed to the lowest doesn't make a big change.

3. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'll have an EK top for mine soon, so I'll be adding that to me how-to guide :)

5. Delphium

That is one strange looking pump heh.

So pardon me for my lack of knowledge of the DDC range, however what are the advantages exactly of these addtional tops?
    My first thought was simply a matter of connectivity such as G1/4 vs Barbs, the material types like copper, nickel, actel or plastics and that they are genrally for custom builds such as using 2 pumps together.

My rig uses G1/4 8mm/10mm tubing with compression fittings, although I dont mind using the pump with barbs as it would be hidden away, just need to be sure i get a few tiewraps to secure the tubing on the pump.

6. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

In certain cases, improved performance. DDC being centrifugal pump it will greatly benefit from unrestricted feedwater flow. Aftermarket tops generally seek to improve on this compared to stock top. For example, XSPC top is very popular choice.

Added connectivity and bling are a bonus.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

And they have improved expansion chambers before the outlets, so that boosts performence too :) The Primochill Typhoon 3 was amazing at this. Pitty the mounting was flawed so it would break and spray fluid everywhere... Such a good idea though, 2 loops off one pump...

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i just picked up a ddc with ek top and it has very good flow. it makes my res look like a jacuzzi. was a step up for me though, as i had a ddcpx before.

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Mind me asking what pump + top you got? What is in your loop?

Im planning a build with a dual bay res so im interested to see what pumps people are using :)

10. Delphium

Ahh great, the extra unrestricted feedlfow makes much sense, I shall shall look at picking up an addtional top then, many thanks for the tips and info :)

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

laing ddc pump, ek replacement top in white. my loop is pretty light right now, just phobya balancer 150 res, ddc pump, 120.2 blackice rad and ek cpu block. i'll probably be adding a gpu block and a block for the motherboard mosfets once i determine whats compatible. maybe another rad as well if temps are too high.

12. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

A single Alphacool Vario has enough head pressure for 2 quad rads, 2 restrictive EK Full cover blocks and a moderately restrictive CPU block so would be fine for your setup. I just use 2 for redundancy. However the DDC is smaller and has more head pressure.

13. bdigital

Im planning on running a CPU, GPU (GTX 460 or 480), with 1x double rad and one triple. Using a dual drive bay res.

Could anyone recommend me a DDC pump and top to suit that setup? (sorry for thread hijack)

14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've had limited experience with DDCs as the only one I had was a used one that broke within a couple of weeks. I'd think about this bundle with the EK top http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cus...-V2-X-Top-in-Acetal-Bundle-Deal-pid-7566.html or wait until they get some more 35X in http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Swiftech-MCP35X-PWM-DDC-18W-Pump--MCP35X-pid-13437.html The price isn't as bad as I expected on that.

I thought you already had a res for a DDC in which case you wouldn't need one with a top. Just because you have the res though I wouldn't limit your options as you could always resell it assuming I haven't got you confused with someone else.

15. bdigital

Your right, i already have a dual bay res. I got it for the cost of postage - So its not the end of the world if i dont use it, i just like the look of them.

and about the top, well i thought (wrongly) that the top would help performance and that it could be fitted to the DDC. I didnt realise that having the drive bay res meant i didnt need one.

thank you for the link - but i take it they dont apply now as they have the top on them lol.

Last edited: 6 May 2011