1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Replacing a 1993 GM ECU EDIT: Problem Solved!

Discussion in 'General' started by OneSeventeen, 18 Aug 2003.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've got a 93 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra, and it has been suggested that the problems I'm having are related to my ECU.
    (description at the end of this post, for those interested)

Is there a way I can test to see if it is my ECU? Can I look at it and see something visibly? I bought a $35 code reader and it says my car is fine, if that makes a difference.

The short version of my problems goes like this: I can start my car, drive it for about 15 minutes, then it will die as I slow down (i.e. stopping at a traffic light) then I can start it up fine, and when I put it in gear, the engine dies. I can revv it while it is in neutral or park as much as I want, but when I put it in drive it dies. If I put it in drive while revving it, it will usually take off just fine.

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Well, I'm going to go ahead and pay someone I don't know about $70 to look at my car, I'm hoping it is something simple, otherwise I think I may have to try and sell the car to buy a cheap 4 banger. :(

3. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Update:: 8/12
    For anyone who may know something about GM cars (specifically my 93 olds cutlass ciera), I finally got some digital video footage (extreemly poor video, and worse audio) and have noticed something I didn't realize before. This only happens after driving on the highway/interstate. I drove for maybe 2 miles at 70 miles per hour, slowed down, and the next time I stopped the car died.

I guess it is to the mechanics I go!

4. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Automatic choke... Not ECU.... it's heating up, and getting too much air...

5. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Problem found,
    Cylinoid was sticking, so when I cruise at high speeds, it would stick in a high gear, as I slowed down the engine couldn't handle it and would quit.

I guess my wife driving over a concrete block wasn't good for the car?

Anyway, actually found honest mechanics!! (and they have comfortable couches too!)

Almost finished reading a book when my ride showed up (thanks Arthur2Sheds!)

I'm also having the tranny cleaned out and get some new fluid in it, just to make sure I don't have any more problems before I graduate. (this is my 'college car')

6. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

And yet there is still no bumblebee tuna?!? Ingrate!

Tags: