1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Replacing a BIOS chip, help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docodine, 31 Jul 2011.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I've got a decent Shuttle barebones system on my hands, but it has a BIOS chip that needs replacing due to a bad flash. (I decided to try WinFlash on a beta build of Windows 7, best idea I ever had)

I can get a replacement chip on eBay for under $15 shipped, but how do I even replace it? Has anyone ever replaced a BIOS chip on a motherboard before? Any decent guides that I can follow?

The model of the Shuttle is the SP35P2v2, and I wouldn't mind swapping my current PC parts into it so I can get 4 RAM slots instead of 2.. Saving space is nice as well.

I used the system a couple of years ago and it had some problems booting (it only booted up reliably when I manually shorted the power pins with a screwdriver :lol:), likely because I was running too much RAM and had too powerful of a video card + CPU for the small power supply.. But who knows.

Am I better off just selling the thing? People like Shuttle XPC cases, right?

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

bios chip is going to be solder on the board right, its not like years ago were you can snap out the eprom or what ever from its holder on the system board.

system boards are machine manufactured, dependant on the bios chip you might be able to use a soldering iron with a solder sucker and take the chip of the board, your looking at a nice powerfull soldering iron I think like 100watt so you dont have to iron on the board for long.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I almost just want to get a Mini ITX board to replace the crap Shuttle one. The screw holes won't match the risers, but I'm more up to the task of installing custom risers than messing around with a soldering iron..

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My BIOs chips are socketed, so it should be simple in theory...

5. jbarakat

jbarakat What's a Dremel?

Actually, i have recently, after attempting to modify one of my Bios', bricked one of my motherboards and have been looking at this company to purchase a replacement chip.

I haven't yet purchased from them so don't have any experience dealing with them.

http://www.biosflash.com/BIOS-Chips-SHUTTLE.htm?pages=4

They have your motherboard listed starting the 8th down although there are a few different versions.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you like the Shuttle case and want to keep it, mod the thing to take an ITX m/b. Best bet imho.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

There is away around this without having to replace the chip. I had this problem on a HD5970. In the end I had to bridge pin 1 & 8 on the flash chip with a fine bit of wire, which allowed it to post. Once your at the flashing process, you have to remove the bridge so you can then flash the chip again.
    I will give you more info when I'm parked up. On the road working.

Cheers,

Simon.