1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Replacing cracked screen on G4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 16 Apr 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

I wish to replace the screen on my daughters old Motorola G4 as it cracked when she went from a warm bus to freezing temps outside and then got smashed even further when she dropped it.

Its straight forward enough o do and there is a guy selling the whole screen, digitiser and frame assembly on eBay so I only have to fit the logic board, camera headphone jack etc and don't have to mess about separating the glass and digitiser.

The question I have is do I have to be wary about quality of these screens as I don't think its an original or anything.

2. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

It might be original and new:
    Unless Motorola coughed up the cash for an exclusive supply agreement there is nothing stopping anyone from buying the same screen from the same supplier.
    It might be original and used:
    All those companies offering trade ins or cash for old phones have to make their money back somehow after all.
    It might be "merely" compatible:
    Quality will be a complete unknown in that case and it could be better, equal or worse.
    It might be complete trash:
    Can you really trust the entire supply chain of the supposed spare part?

In much less words: Buying spare parts from someone other than the manufacturer is a complete gamble and you should never spend more than you are willing to lose.

3. CrapBag

4. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

For £20 I'd risk it:thumb:

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

One gotcha is there may be several version of any given phone with mutually incompatible parts. e.g. you may have a "G4" sold in Europe, one sold in the US, and one sold in ASIAPAC, etc, all externally identical and with the same branding but may have minor to major internal differences (e.g. Samsung using completely different SoCs with different core architectures from different manufacturers in their Galaxy S phones). A quick google shows the G4 has 4 version you might encounter (not including the not-G4 G4s, like the G4 Play and G4 Plus): XT1620, XT1621, XT1622 (EU model), and XT1625. XT1622 and XT1625 appear to use the same LCD assembly at least, not sure about the others, but searching for "XT1622 LCD" rather than just "G4 LCD" will giv eyou a better chance of getting the right aprt.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The quality might be lower than the original screen as it was from the factor, but it'll be a million times higher than the original screen in its new cracked status.

7. CrapBag

I've checked with the seller who says it's compatible with my XT 1622.

My Missus won't be worried about the quality as long as it's not shocking and she can use Facebook.

I have the phone completely apart now with no visible damage done, apart from losing one tiny screw.

Just got to decide if I want to keep it original with the white frame one from France or get it up n ready by the weekend and buy the UK black one.

8. CrapBag

Screen came and has been duly fitted.

Quality wise it looks fine and the touch screen is very responsive, the outer frame is a slight different silver and the white border is more of an ivory white really but I'm happy with that.

Only thing I'm a little disappointed about is that I managed to lose a screw and dislodge a ziff which I cant get back on (its absolutely tiny and even with a magnifying glass and tweezers I couldn't do it), its for the headphone ribbon cable which is a tight fit anyway and my wife probably wont use it either.

I am contacting the seller though as the earpiece aperture is half covered by a metal frame that isn't aligned properly, as long is works okay I'm not too bothered but a partial refund wouldn't go amiss as its not how it should be really.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have some G4 bits here if you need to scavange anything to fix the ZIF?

My son cracked the screen on his G4 and roughly at the same time my daughter wore out the USB charging socket on her G4 so I took the mainboard out of my sons G4 and put it into my daughters. My son now has an iPhone and my daughter a G5 so I have everything thats left over is it is of any use?

10. CrapBag

I still have the little grey piece I just cant refit it because its so small :(.

I might hit you up for a screw (don't tell the missus :p) and have a think if there's anything else that I might need in the future, we have 3 G4's here.

Thanks for the offer

I really want to attempt to separate the old damaged screen from the digitiser and replace the glass so we have another spare glass, got nothing to lose really as its stuffed anyway :)

The phones not completely finished as the volume button fell out when my daughter dropped it and I didn't realise it was actually broken so I have new volume and power buttons coming tomoz and I've ordered 3 new Case It cases (such good cases I feel)

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Okay, I just checked what I have...

1 x black G4 XT1622 with a bent frame and cracked screen which I canabalised the mainboard from - it has the mainboard with the dodgy USB charging socket in it, it still works but it won't charge.
    1 x white G4 XT1622 with the donated mainboard, working perfectly.
    4 x full surround cases, 3 black & 1 a pinkish clear colour. 2 of the clack cases have those little stands on them so it can sit horizontally when watching a movie etc.
    2 x hard plastic screen protectors - new
    1 x soft plastic screen protector - new

Let me know if any of this is of interest and we can work something out, the only thing worth anything is the white G4 (its currently my spare) but even that isn't worth much, I still have a Nexus 5 here as well just in case.

I'd rather it all went to someone who would use it rather than languish in a box and never used.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2019
  12. CrapBag

I may well have bought the white one off of you pre rebuilding.

I may be interested in the lot what sort of price you looking at?

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

£25 the lot?

14. CrapBag

I'll give it some thought thanks, I like the idea of tinkering with them and bringing the problematic one back to life but I don't have the money to grab your lot right now.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

No worries, they aren't going anywhere, yell if/when you want them.