1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing failing PSU fan.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shotgunefx, 14 Jan 2006.

1. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

I've got an Ultrasparc 10 and sounds like the PSU fan is going. I'd like to replace it before the PSU goes. (Yes, I know I can get zapped)

In 18 years, I've never had a problem with a PSU, so I'd like to get some opinions.

Can I just replace it with any 80mm fan? I believe the PSU is 243Watt 8amps.
    Anything special I need to consider or will any old 80mm fan do?

Thanks.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

As long as it pushes a reasonable amount of air, it should be fine. If you can't get proper airflow statistics on the model already in there, then the more crude method of testing with your hand to see if it's about right would probably work.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You can easily replace a fan, they are standard 80mm or 120mm, I've done it before but at hitman said, make sure it pushes at least the same amount of air as the previous original one.

Careful not to touch any of the components!

4. shotgunefx

So it may say the flow rating on it when I disassemble the psu? I'm trying to do this quickly as I need to minimize downtime as much as possible on this machine.

I noticed the problem as it started rebooting this morning, chirping the inverting UPS. I thought it was a UPS problem at first, but it tests fine, fairly sure it's the fan. Barely any flow.

I cleaned it out (my god, the crud in there.), but I can hear the fan droning on like it's going.

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It probably has a model number on the fan label, but if you want to minimise downtime then it'll take too long looking it all up.

As long as it's not a high-performance supply or one designed for silence, any fan should be fine. If it's a quiet one, it'll be designed to cope with lower airflow and consequently you should be fine with a less noisy model.

6. shotgunefx

Thanks. I can only partially see the label on the fan without opening it up.

9x20y, google didn't help.

7. shotgunefx

Thanks. Was pretty easy, though I don't like the thought of getting zapped by a PSU too much. Hardest part was just prying the tabs open without trashing the psu case. The fan I got across the street at Radioshat was rated the same.

Probably could have subbed a regular pc if I did some surgery on the odd connector.

Though apparently the front fan was part of the noise too.. It's working ..alright, but quite, quite noisy (in a room with 20+ fans, this is louded then the rest combined). Unfortunately a 92mm, so I'll have to do some driving around.

Thanks again.