1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Replacing MacBook Hard disk

Discussion in 'Software' started by Evilbob, 6 Oct 2006.

1. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

Just ordered myself a new MacBook and I've seen several places that suggest a hard disk upgrade is a good idea. I wanted to know if anybody knows if the hard disk is considered a user-replaceable part under the terms of the apple warranty? If I replace the hard disk will I void my warranty??

2. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I'd think yes, it would void warranty...

you have to remove the entirety of the casing to get to the hard drive, so it is not a user-replaceable part in my opinion

personally i find it's cheaper to buy a large external drive than it is to buy a laptop sata drive

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

ive seen websites were people have taken apart both the original ibook and the newer g4 ones. the design is pretty much the same as the macbook, and it looks a pretty indepth process. just have a google to see what i mean, i wouldnt bother unless it broke at some point

4. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Considering it apparantly doesn't void the warrenty to crack them open and replace the thermal paste i'd be surprised if replacing the hard disk would.

I presume if you break it while dicking around with the thermal paste they may not honour the warrenty but if you do it and something else breaks later I don't think there is a problem...

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

the macbook DOES NOT NEED to be disassembled to upgrade the HDD. The macbook pro does, but the macbook's HDD is hidden behind the battery. just pull it out.

in fact, apple even list it as a user replaceable part, and provide instructions on the first page of google!

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

6. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

Yeah I knew it wasn't a difficult replacement, I just wanted to know if anyone had actually asked apple if it would void the warranty!?

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

since apple calls it a user replaceable part,

no. it's up there with adding your own RAM.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's definitely okay to do. Know your warrantee - it basically says that you can do anything you want provided you don't break it in the process, including things not sanctioned by Apple (so replace your own thermal paste, but if you break something, you DO void the warrantee; if all went well, it's intact). If you manage to do real damage by removing the battery and pulling a lever, which is all it takes for the MB, you really should be working on the thing.

Though, obviously, back up all your data first. Just in case. Not to mention so it's there for the new install.

Tags: