1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Replacing mouse, worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DorkSterr, 8 Jun 2009.

1. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

I am currently using an MX Revolution mice and loving it, most of the time. I've been having hardware issues with my MX Revolution when in-game(s) with the left button (occasionally) where it wouldn't respond other than that the mouse works perfectly.

Now my question is (I cannot emphasize enough) I want to replace the MX Revlution with the Razor Mamba (@ $129.99:jawdrop: ), would this be an ideal exchange? Or will I just be wasting my money? I've done some research on the Mamba and MX Revlution, and found out that the Mamba has a lot to offer:
    -------------------------------------------------

MX Revolution:
    Good
    * Free-wheel scroll wheel simply rocks
    * Good battery life
    * Lots of buttons
    Bad
    * Could use higher sensitivity settings for gaming, 800DPi <- :grr: max
    -----------------------------------------
    Razer Mamba:
    Good
    *5600DPI <- :jawdrop: Razer Precision™ 3.5G Laser sensor
    *Wired and wireless connections
    *Conveniently placed DPI buttons

Bad
    *Hefty price tag

Does DPI make a difference in gaming?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Had this problem. Call Logitech for a new mouse. All they ask is a proof of purchase, and they will send you a new MX Revolution retail box with the recharger and everything. You get to keep your mouse. If you don't have any proof of purchase that you can e-mail or fax, then you will need to send a part of your mouse setup (not the hole thing) which will be used as proof of purchase.
    Your mouse has a 3 year warranty, and if it's out of warranty, Logitech is willing to give you a discount on your next Logitech purchase 30-50% off.

A pro gamer that blames it's hardware when he sucks, will say yes DPI does mater, but I say I tried both (1200DPI and 800DPI) and I find that after 800DPI you see no difference. But then I am no pro gamer, I just play games for fun.
    So, my guess is, if you play games A LOT, then yea get a new mouse with higher DPI, but if you use your computer more for more work than gaming, but still game, I think you are good with your mouse (well a replaced one).

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I just finished a review of Sidewinder X8, which is like Mamba, only 30% cheaper, more usable, and it actually works. If only it fits your hand (may take a while to get used to), it's deffo worth buying.

http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/microsoft-sidewinder-x8/index_eng

I'm yet to find a pleased Mamba-buyer, the software support is... Well, made by Razer, the battery life is short....

My personal take on the DPI-battle is: bollocks. I just don't give a flying dung if it's 2000 or 4000 or even 5600. With the X8 I'm just using 1000/500 DPI depending on the game/scenario.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

...Except that the Sidewinder X8 feels like a piece of trash when it's in your hand. Compared with the quality build of the MX, the Sidewinder feels like a lump of plastic, too light, looks silly, and just doesn't feel good to the touch.

PC mice are a personal preference. I don't really buy into the gaming mouse hype, I game with a VX Nano, just because it's the most comfortable mouse for me (also got a great deal on it). If your really really think the reason you're not getting those headshots is caused by the mouse, try a high DPI wired mouse with a good pad. I've been reading about the tweaks 'pro' gamers do to their mice, and apparently the polling rate can be tweaked to reduce any jerkiness, but I really don't see what the big deal is.. Gaming computer peripherals just seem like a load of crap, mostly. I don't understand why some Razer mice are so expensive, I can't imagine spending more than $50. I recommend the DeathAdder if you really want a Razer, it's fairly reasonable, and looks slick. I've used it only once, and the build quality isn't quite the same as my VX Nano, or the MX Revolution, but it's decent.

5. GoodBytes

Just a note: I opened my MX revolution (the broken one), and the inside is worth the money you paid for.
    The main wheel is true metal, the freespin/click wheel switch system is motorized, the plastic is real solid with a solid construct, several circuit boards used, and the Lithium ion battery in cartridge (can be changed, by the way). I did not see any low end components used.

6. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Ya I'm really stuck on my MX Rev' because of the special features it has over the Mamba, hyper scroll, left and right switch on scroll wheel (making music easy to change during in-games), and the other wheel located on the side which seems to be neglected most of the time.

I have contacted Logitech (Via e-mail) and told a rep about the problem I have been having, that warranty GoodBytes claims sound too good to be true, I'm going to try and get a replacement.

Thank you

7. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

The Mamba is a very nice mouse if its size and weight work for you. If it were half the price it would be great. Mine didn't work (kept freezing) and Razer support had no solution so, after a month of grief getting them and the reseller to accept it, I sent it back. On grounds of crap engineering I'm not getting another one.

Personally I would never use my MX Revolution for gaming, it's too chunky for me. But that's just preference. I would say, if you like the mouse, get Logitech to sort it out. Or if you really like it, and they won't replace it, get another one: the Mamba is not worth the launch price even if it works, and a mouse you love doesn't come along every time.

I'm now using a Razer Lachesis and feeling pretty good about it after a month, but you're obviously after a wireless?

For what it's worth, even if you're a twitchy player I would say anything much above 2000 dpi is a waste of effort. If you're really feeling the MX is too slow, that would be a reason to try something different, but 5600 dpi is just a marketing gimmick.

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I've been gaming with the MX Revo for over a year now and I've got no issues in games, including fast twitch games like CoD, L4D, and the rest of the likes.

I'm tempted to check out the Mamba myself, though I don't know if I can justify the cost, especially when the mouse I have right now works so well for what I do. If you do decide to pick up the Mamba, please let me know what you think of it.

As for the Logitech warranty, it IS that good. I had purchased a Revolution from Newegg, and within a month the rubber on the ride side of the mouse started to peel. I contacted Logitech's support with the issue, and included some pictures. Three days later I had a brand new mouse on my front porch, with no request for the old mouse. I ended up giving my old mouse to my brother, and I'm still using the replacement without any issues.

I also had another experience with Logitech support (prior to the mouse issue) with my first set of Z-5500 speakers... About a week after moving to college, the rear left channel of my speaker system went out. Contacted Logitech through their website, and explained the issue. I provided the serial number from the back of the controller unit as well as the invoice from the speaker system (Newegg is GREAT for getting invoices for prior purchases BTW), and I was told I would recieve a whole new speaker system after returning the controller unit to Logitech. It cost me a total of $20 to ship the controller unit through two day UPS. The new speaker set was installed and working a week later.

I have to give Logitech credit for REALLY having amazing customer support... They go the extra mile to make sure their customers are taken care of. Two thumbs up to them from me.

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Similar situation happened with my friend's Revolution. His had some microstuttering problems, he called them, they sent a new one, problems went away after a full discharge-charge, he gave the new one as a birthday gift. The build quality is so high, I wonder how much it costs them to make the mouse.. The VX Nano has equal build quality, but I've never had trouble with mine. :D

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Using a Razer DeathAdder here...

Personally I feel I could do with a higher DPI when surfing the net, but then I'm also incredibly lazy, so...

11. GoodBytes

I don't think that is the DPI but rather Windows configuration in mouse speed.

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Nope, I'm just so lazy I can't be bothered to move my hands a few more inches to close the goddamn tab when I'm in one of them lazy modes.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I'd just get a G5 - if they still make them.

14. GoodBytes

G5.. nha... If you going with a G5 look at the G7!

The G7 is like the G5 but is wireless. It comes with 2 interchangeable lithium ion batteries (which is the same as the MX Revolution (I realized this when I opened my old MX revolution), and comes with a nice carrying case.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Or then you could just wait until some manufacturer steals the MS's awesome charging cable... Or MS comes up with another model that's not quite as strikingly designed as the X8.

Sorry if I seem like a huge advertiser or something, but the charger/cable is just so ingenious I can't understand why it hasn't been done before.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Wireless mouse? Nah, man. Maybe for a laptop but a wireless mouse for desktop use has no real adventages. On the other hand the batteries can run out at the worst time.

Besides, the G7's back is smooth while the G5 has a nice ruggedized surface that provides a firmer grip.

17. GoodBytes

Wireless on desktop computer is more useful than that you think.
    First of all, if you want to go far, let's say bed (computer in your room), then you can use it as a remote to play a movie from distance.
    Secondly, you don't have the stupid wire that always pull or push your mouse and prevent you from moving your mouse correctly. I have to admit that on a good mouse, the wire uses a proper plastic which annoys you less, but it's still there.

As for battery life. On the MX Revolution, 30sec on the recharger = 15min of battery life on a heavy usage (ie: gaming). Battery life of the MX Revolution is between 2 weeks to 1 week depending on usage (these are my numbers from 2 years of using this mouse).

The G7 has the same battery as the MX revolution so I guess the same results.
    As it comes with 2 batteries that you can swamp out. One is on the recharger, and you can just go like that. Plus, you have a battery indicator on the mouse, and you have Logitech setpoint software that pop-up reminding you to recharge your battery when your are low in battery. Low battery means you can still game for 8-10 hours (well depends on the game, and again my numbers).

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Wow, that's certainly nice. I stand corrected.

I still like my wired G5 though.

19. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Isn't that what Razer did with their Mamba?