Linux Replicated backups

Discussion in 'Software' started by deathtaker27, 5 Jan 2018.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

hi,

Trying to get some advice on how to handle my backups,

What I have:
    1x dell optiex running esxi with a virtualised fileserver (centos)
    Disks : 1x4tb , 1x 128gb ssd

1x hp micro server n40l
    4x 2tb drives, 1x 128gb ssd, USB for boot drive

1x hp microserver n36l
    4x2tb drives, 1x 128gb ssd

What I want:

Optiplex backed up onsite and offsite

Question:
    How should I go about this? I was thinking of freenas and an microserver on-site and off-site but I have little idea of the best software and replication (was thinking freenas or should I just diy it? )

Thanks

DT

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

FreeNAS would work fine for this, and you could use a backup tool of your choice to send the files across - heck, rsync would work. Personally, I use Syncthing - which isn't a backup tool but rather a synchronisation tool, but which does include basic staggered versioning functionality - because I'm super lazy and 'restoring from backup' goes from watching my system churn through six months of incremental backups over the next four hours to "open the .stversions folder, find the file, copy it back to where it's supposed to be."

3. Xlog

Xlog Member

Sync optiplex using rsync or something similar with onsite Freenas->configure periodic snapshots on onsite Freenas->push data to offsite Freenas using inbuilt zfs replication functionality.

Alternatively - switch your centos fileserver to freenas and replicate directly form there.