1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Requesting some help from some of you BiT photoraphy gurus on my Powershot G9

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bixie_62, 19 Jul 2009.

1. bixie_62

bixie_62 Active Member

Hi all

I've got a canon PowerShot G9 Camera and due to some unfortunate mishap, the front metal ring has cracked and as such the lens no longer closes!

The writing on the lens is

CANON ZOOM LENS 6x IS

7.4 - 44.4mm 1:2.8-4.8

So, i ask you guru's of bit,

where can i obtain an identical replacement lens for this camera?

many thanks

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

As far as I know, lenses on the PowerShot line of cameras aren't considered removable, so you'll have a hard time finding one. This being Bit-Tech, I'm not going to tell you it can't be done - we're hardly normal consumers - but even if you can find a lens, it's going to be tricky. You should probably scour eBay for another camera of the same model, perhaps one with a cracked LCD or some kind of sensor issue.

Other than that, you might take some time to talk with Canon support; I had to get a PowerShot repaired a few years back and they were very helpful. Mine was apparently covered by a recall, so I don't know what your issue might cost, but it's certainly worth asking.

3. bixie_62

bixie_62 Active Member

Cheers for your input Crazybob

I had a closer look at the camera, and theres a button which when released allows an 'o' ring to be unscrewed at the base of the lens

basically, the top o ring with writing on it that holds down the 'shutter' bit that opens and closes when you turn the camera on/off is busted and needs to be replaced somehow but i cant figure out how to get it off to repair it

cheers

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'd still be talking to Cannon support about this, attempting to fix it yourself will void warranty. Otherwise, I couldn't find a service manual for the G9, but did find some photos of the G7 being dismantled. The cameras are visually almost identical, so it may be some use:

http://qman.fotokala.ee/Kaamerad/PowerShotG7/index.html

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Take it to a Canon service center. Fixing it yourself has an almost 0% chance of working and you'd be breaking a great camera even more. Show some respect to a beautiful design.

Edit: if you are talking about the knurled ring at the base of the lens, then that is for the attachment of lens modifiers.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2009
  6. cherryme

cherryme New Member

We provide almost everything for EVE-Online

www.items4eve.com
    items4eve.com

We provide almost everything in EVE-Online , free delivery in 30 minutes, nice customer support here. Come on and enjoy your wonderful shopping 

Exhumers Ore Hulk Caldari Battleships Raven Navy Issue Full Set Of +5 Improved Implants Gallente Battleships Megathron Navy Issue Gallente Freighters Obelisk Caldari Battleships Raven Capital Industrial Ore Rorqual Caldari Battlecruisers Drake Minmatar Heavy Assault Ships Vagabond Angel Battleships Machariel Gallente Battleships Megathron Caldari Navy Cruise Missile Launcher Energy Grid Rigs Capacitor Control Circuit II Advanced Anti-Ship Rockets Phalanx Rage Rocket Advanced High Precision Light Missiles Bloodclaw Precision Light Missile Standard Auto-Targeting Hydra F.O.F. Heavy Missile I Standard Auto-Targeting Eradicator F.O.F. Heavy Missile I Advanced High Precision Light Missiles Bloodclaw Precision Light Missile

www.items4eve.com
    items4eve.com

7. cherryme

cherryme New Member

www.items4eve.com
    items4eve.com

We provide almost everything in EVE-Online , free delivery in 30 minutes, nice customer support here. Come on and enjoy your wonderful shopping 

Exhumers Ore Hulk Caldari Battleships Raven Navy Issue Full Set Of +5 Improved Implants Gallente Battleships Megathron Navy Issue Gallente Freighters Obelisk Caldari Battleships Raven Capital Industrial Ore Rorqual Caldari Battlecruisers Drake Minmatar Heavy Assault Ships Vagabond Angel Battleships Machariel Gallente Battleships Megathron Caldari Navy Cruise Missile Launcher Energy Grid Rigs Capacitor Control Circuit II Advanced Anti-Ship Rockets Phalanx Rage Rocket Advanced High Precision Light Missiles Bloodclaw Precision Light Missile Standard Auto-Targeting Hydra F.O.F. Heavy Missile I Standard Auto-Targeting Eradicator F.O.F. Heavy Missile I Advanced High Precision Light Missiles Bloodclaw Precision Light Missile

www.items4eve.com
    items4eve.com