1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Resistor help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bluebark, 5 Jan 2004.

1. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

As you can see, three resistors smoked on this board and needs to be replaced. They are 100 ohm resistors and my stupid question of the day is…is there diff between these 100 ohm resistors shown at the bottom other than size?

The board goes to my old Metcal solder station and I want to fix it…does the size matter?

No girly jokes please…
    [​IMG]

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Wattage - how much current they'll take without smoking. :hip:

You can normally guess from the size, but a 0.6W metal film resistor is about the same size as a 0.25W carbon film (but will usually have a red 1% tolerance band).

3. Bluebark

cpemma...You're always a great help.

Do you think i could harm other components if I used the bigger resistors? Or should I just stick with resistors of the same size?

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It depends on why the others failed - normal wear & tear or fault - but normally a higher wattage won't hurt, the board maker may have been cutting corners a bit on ratings to save a few pence.

If there's a fault, a higher wattage will still get hot and could damage something else.

Another tip is to mount them with a bit of space underneath or mount vertically for better cooling.

5. Bluebark

Thank you cpemma...Santa gave me a new Metcal station so I can play with this one. I'll try the bigger resistors and mount vert. and see what happens…Thanks again!